Making Mould for Ficus Roots

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Chris H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All of them.
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: School of bonsai

Making Mould for Ficus Roots

Post by Chris H »

In another thread on big ficus a technique described on page 52 of Leongs book has it has been mentioned which involves creating a mould and putting it around a tree filled with moss and letting the roots fill the space.

Im keen to have a go, but have no idea how to make a mould.

I know the answer is out in Ausbonsai land!
Aikido keeps me rolling; Bonsai keeps me still.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Making Mould for Ficus Roots

Post by Jamie »

hartos.

i am working out a way to do this now, when i got it sorted i will post :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
dayne
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper, pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: sunshine coast

Post by dayne »

get some foam or chicken wire cover it with fibreglass easy as that you could even incorporate a trunk mould and use a heap of cuttings to fill it and fuse together
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

i was thinking somethin like that myself dayne, gotta make it so i can get it off aswell though so it has to be cost effective, maybe chicken wire and aluminium foil might be the way to go?

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Chris H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All of them.
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: School of bonsai

Post by Chris H »

I think the roots would get caught in the chicken wire if you were just using aluminium foil.
Never done anything with Fibreglass (amazing what you need to learn to grow little trees!)
The mould in Leongs book looks like it is made from some sort of resin.

In the past Ive just wrapped moss around a tree with glad wrap and when I get the roots going I tie them into place simple and cheap but not as exciting as cracking open a mould to see the fused roots form a great buttressed trunk.
Unless the mould is going to be smooth enough on the inside to allow the roots to be pressed into the shape and shaped exactly as the end trunk should look then it will be little better than my glad wrap.

Could you make a mould in two parts so that it is reusable? it could simply be tied together with cable ties or tape.
Then if we made three or four moulds we could use them for a few years, fly them around the country and let others use them and in 10 years time discover what the differences are in the trees which came from the same mould.
Aikido keeps me rolling; Bonsai keeps me still.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

Hartos wrote:I think the roots would get caught in the chicken wire if you were just using aluminium foil.
Never done anything with Fibreglass (amazing what you need to learn to grow little trees!)
The mould in Leongs book looks like it is made from some sort of resin.

In the past Ive just wrapped moss around a tree with glad wrap and when I get the roots going I tie them into place simple and cheap but not as exciting as cracking open a mould to see the fused roots form a great buttressed trunk.
Unless the mould is going to be smooth enough on the inside to allow the roots to be pressed into the shape and shaped exactly as the end trunk should look then it will be little better than my glad wrap.

Could you make a mould in two parts so that it is reusable? it could simply be tied together with cable ties or tape.
Then if we made three or four moulds we could use them for a few years, fly them around the country and let others use them and in 10 years time discover what the differences are in the trees which came from the same mould.
thats all very feasible mate, resin isnt to easy to work with but it is possible, and two parts would be the way to go, i was thinking foil on the inside then chicken wire on the outside to create the stability, i think it would work but not sure, that system had been used with foil on the black pines roots if you remember the thread on it?

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
dayne
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper, pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: sunshine coast

Post by dayne »

resin is easy as just buy a tin and some hardener use chop strand matting or even an old bed sheet cut up as the reenforcing its just like paper mash dip in the cloth lay it over wait about an hour and its rock hard if you want two pieces just cut it in half with a grinder

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”