Sick Port Jackson Fig

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Biggest_Dreamer1600
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig
Bonsai Age: 2

Sick Port Jackson Fig

Post by Biggest_Dreamer1600 »

Hello everybody,

A few weeks ago, I bought my first bonsai - a Port Jackson Fig. Since then, I have made a number of stupid mistakes, and I think I've over-watered it. My first big mistake was blindly believing the advice of the salesperson, who told me to water it every day. I did just that, not even bothering to check and see whether or not the soil was dry. Since figs are (apparently) indoor bonsai, I've left it mostly indoors, out of most direct sunlight and away from any breezes. I didn't know that there was any problem until I noticed that the leaves were a bit dull about a week or two later. This was when I made my second big mistake and gave it some fertiliser, thinking that it would fix the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't, and the poor bonsai now looks like this:

Image Image

There is also a strong smell around the bonsai that slightly resembles chocolate, and some small leaves have also fallen off. The soil is also still damp underneath, even though I haven't watered my bonsai in about two days. Anyway, I think that my bonsai has been over-watered, but I'm not sure what to do now... any help would be much appreciated! I'm new to this, and I don't want my poor bonsai to die as a result of my inexperience. :(
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

Re: Sick Port Jackson Fig

Post by Glenda »

Port Jacksons like water, but not sodden soil. By your picture there are stones on top, but what about underneath? I keep my Port Jacksons in 100% diatomite with no soil or compost. Quick draining but retains some moisture, and I mix in a small amount of Osmacote. The also need humidity and in Victoria will need to be misted daily, or have a humidity tray if you want aerial roots to form. Does it get enough light? I am in North Queensland and keep mine under shade cloth, but they still get around 4 hours of morning sun.
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me
Biggest_Dreamer1600
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig

Post by Biggest_Dreamer1600 »

My bonsai gets plenty of light, but not much direct sun. I've heard about misting, but I'm not that sure how to do it. Would I get a regular spray bottle and spray it once a day with water, or is there more to it? Also, the stones are only on the top layer. There's some sort of soil/barkish substance underneath it.
Last edited by Biggest_Dreamer1600 on January 11th, 2010, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
john tapner
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Study Group

Post by john tapner »

It takes a lot of experience to kill a Port Jackson Fig. I would take it out of the pot and wash all the old soil off with a hose including any fertiliser that may still be in the mix. Don't fertilise a sick tree. Cut all the old leaves off and that means all the leaves. The leafs stalks will dry off and drop off in a couple of days. Replant in a training pot such as a plastic pot with a soil mix with plenty of gravel so the water drains out easily. Take the tree outside and place in a semi shaded spot and it should start to recover within a couple of weeks. As it recovers give it more sun, If it doesn't, you have just joined the world-wide bonsai club. Everybody has had trees die on them for one reason or another. This is the learning experience, but just remember that bonsai are outside trees.

Good luck

JohnT
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

One quick point, bonsai, including figs are best grown outdoors.

Cheers
MM
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

Post by Glenda »

Misting means getting a spray bottle and spraying the leaves, usually daily. Or at least that is my understanding :) Also, if the part of Victoria you live in gets cold in winter, bring it indoors for winter. Port Jacksons are tropical trees. I have a friend with one in Tasmania, and it has to stay indoors from end of February until November under grow lights.
Last edited by Glenda on January 12th, 2010, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

I have a saying. That if you kill a FIG you should give up growing weeds. True figs do not like the cold but at the moment I think Victoria is not cold.

John Tapners advice is spot on. At this time of the year just about all Ficus in Australia, have been defoliated at least once, in my case twice.

Cheers ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”