When and what to defoliate

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

When and what to defoliate

Post by Glenda »

Hi all. Being relatively new to Bonsai, I am unsure of what and when to defoliate. The local bonsai club has advised to defoliate all ficus in October, but that is about it. Am looking for advice here.

1. I have an olive; pyracantha; gmelina; ficus benjamina, retusa, Port Jacson, Morton Bay, willow leaf and philippinensis; bouganvillea; boxwood.
2. Most of these are still small. At what size do you start defoliating?
3. How often do you defoliate? I have done the retusa once, thought I had killed it but was surprised at the rapid regeneration.

Thanks for any help you can give.
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me
Espresso
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 20

Re: When and what to defoliate

Post by Espresso »

I am in Sydney and defoliate my figs in Sept and Bougie and Maples in January.
Jonden
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 45
Bonsai Club: Nepean bonsai Society Inc. Bonsai Society of Australia Inc. National

Post by Jonden »

Hi,
Defoliation is usually only used once you have developed your bonsai and is a refinement technique to reduce the size of the leaves and produce finer ramification of branches. If your trees are only small and still being developed it is of little benefit to defoliate, as you want to acheive maximum growth on your bonsai to thicken up the trunk and branches, you need to encourage as much growth as possible while working on the primary structure and wiring to style. At this stage it is better not to grow them in a bonsai pot, but a large growing pot or in the ground and fertilise them heavily, this will develope your tree much faster, then when it is thick enough transfer it to a bonsai pot for refining and defoliation techniques.
I hope this helps.
Cheers, Jonden
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

hi,
defoliation is a practice that is best carried out on mature bonsai. It can be done on most broad leaved evergreens and deciduous trees during the growing season. If your trees are still in the development stage then there is really no advantage to defoliation. I would spent a few years developing a good trunk caliper and some branching then think about leaf size and branch ramification
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

Post by Glenda »

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I have most of my plants in wide but shallow (15cm) terracotta pots, as I find they don't blow over so easily. Have been thinking about setting up a 'growing on' bed.
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”