Fig cascade or semi cascade???

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
bonsaiboy50
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

Fig cascade or semi cascade???

Post by bonsaiboy50 »

Firstly , sorry about the pic and sorry about the pot, hard to find a cascade pot big enough to fit this tree. . This fig was up untill recently a full cascade but due to a large storm blowing it over it now is more like a semi cascade. Question is , do i re train it to a semi cascade or let it grow back to a full cascade. Remembering it took me about 15 years to get that cascading branch to grow.
regards Bonsaiboy50
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Fig cascade or semi cascade???

Post by Jamie »

that is completely up to you mate, as far as i think though i am quite fond of a semi cascade pulled off well. thats just my personal opinion. what you want to do with the tree is up to you, it depends whether you want to pull it back into its former glory of a full cascade (by the way, how long was the tail?) or restyle it so suit a semi cascade and have the tree back in show condition sooner rather than later. you would have to change the pot though to go with a semi.

JMO.

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

semi fig.JPG
I would go for a semi cascade. Shape the two foliage pads to be closer into the tree and start to swing back to the front. At the moment the viewer is going vertically, left and right and I think you need to decide on a direction and work towards that. If you defoliate you should get shoots back on the trunk so you can get branchlets starting on part of the bare semi cascade branch. Currently the tree and the branch look as tho they are trying to distance each from the other. This is probably blasphemy but have you considered getting rid of the extended branch and just doing the top. I just keep seeing 3 parts: trunk, top, semi branch. If the branch were removed the eye would run up the aerial roots to the apex but I keep getting a feeling of being out on a limb the way it is now. Play with the white cloth and cover the semi branch and look at the tree over a day and see what you think.

Whether you do it semi or full is up to you as the tree could carry either with that lovely trunk but I think you need to work towards a unified tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: CCBC, CBS, VNBC, BSST

Post by hugh grant »

hey mate
if you would like my opinion i would say a semi cascade as it looks pretty good now at the length it is now. but i can see it looking nicely as a full cascade again aswell. but like jamie saud what do you think would make you happy.
exelent tree but, you have some really nice figs i must say, really liking them :D so far this is my fav of yours ;)

Hugh ;)
Tree Makers Making Australian Bonsai
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW
https://www.treemakers.net/

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/treemakersbonsai
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tree_makers/
E: Hughgrant@treemakers.net
Rod
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wide range
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Qld

Post by Rod »

Mate I think you are heading in the right direction with this tree, though I would say I am like Jamie partial to semi cascades. I think all that lacks is a foliage link between the top and the bottom...it looks as though the cascade is doing it `s own thing out there. Some foliage between the two sections would act like a bridge. and allow the viewers eye to be carried down the length of the cascade. CHEERS ROD...
bonsaiboy87
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by bonsaiboy87 »

I think it would make quite a powerful semi cascade once put in a smaller pot.... however I do have a soft spot for cascades and if it were me I would probably enjoy spending another 15 yrs to get it back :lol:
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

jeez i just noticed there are two bonsaiboys, one with 50 on the end and one with 87 :lol:
i thought ya were the same person/s :lol:

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”