Should I defoliate?

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Jacobsj1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm, Juniper, Dwarf jade, Pomegranate
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: -

Should I defoliate?

Post by Jacobsj1 »

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Bonsai, and Unfortunately my Chinese elm and (what i believe to be) Fukien Tea appear to have been fairly damaged by the hot and dry weather here in Perth over the past month. I have kept the soil moist, however the leaves are still shrivelling up and gradually falling off. I have read that Defoliating on a sick tree shouldn't be performed, however i fear that my bonsai will die anyway... should i go ahead and defoliate them anyway?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Should I defoliate?

Post by shibui »

First you need to fix the problem that caused the burnt leaves. Burnt leaves can be caused by a number of different things: Lack of water; Too much water; Excess fertiliser; Herbicide drift; Salinity to list just a few. It is hard to diagnose the real problem without knowing much more about the trees and how you grow them.
If they are small bonsai it is likely the pots will dry out every day unless you have some way of keeping the moisture up to them during the day.
I keep smaller and very shallow pots on a water tray - a shallow container that will hold water - one of those trays that go under pots is ok but get a large one. Fill the tray with sand or gravel then fill with water. Sit the bonsai on top of the sand. The water in the tray evaporates during the day and keeps the bonsai cooler and humid so it won't need so much water from its pot. The bonsai sits ABOVE the water level so it won't be waterlogged. Each time you water make sure the tray fills to give a reservoir of moisture for the day. Sometimes roots will grow out the drainage holes and into the gravel below. This doesn't matter and will help the tree get extra moisture (it will grow faster though). Cut off extra roots at the end of summer.

If the tree is healthy and has been burnt by a one off lack of water it will grow new leaves whether you defoliate or not. if you leave the old leaves on the remaining green will help feed it until it can grow new leaves. defoliation in this case will only get rid of the unsightly burnt leaves more quickly. It doesn't help the tree grow new leaves.
Without knowing more details I would leave the old leaves and concentrate on getting the conditions right so it doesn't keep happening.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jacobsj1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm, Juniper, Dwarf jade, Pomegranate
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: -

Post by Jacobsj1 »

Thanks!

I will try that and see how they fare for the remaining summer
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

welcome to the site jacob, everyone is friendly as you can see and to willing to help, i know your trees are looking a bit sorry for themselves at the moment but a pic might help us diagnose the prob, and feel free to post pics of your trees when they are healthy and looking good again!

enjoy the site :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
buddaboy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Flowering Apricot, Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by buddaboy »

Jacobs, The drying out of the leaves can be caused by dry winds. Possibly try to find a more sheltered spot for these trees.

Just an Idea ;)

BB
Last edited by buddaboy on January 24th, 2010, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the black sheep of the Bonsai world.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”