storm damaged fig restyle

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
bonsaiboy50
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

storm damaged fig restyle

Post by bonsaiboy50 »

Hi Everyone, One of my figs that was badly damaged in a storm a few months ago.As you can see the top was broken off , so no head or branches on R/hand side. Hope you guys can give me some ideas on restyling it. Thanks
regards bonsaiboy50
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bonzaidog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus,olives,bougies
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop Inc, Bonsai Society of WA

Re: storm damaged fig restyle

Post by bonzaidog »

Bonsaiboy 50.....After the darkness comes the light,as they say...could the light yer looking for include, a trunk chop just above the bottom branch...or even lower (eh Jamie! ;) )...the branch might serve as a new leader and provide some taper...could be a soution....Dog.
buddaboy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Flowering Apricot, Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by buddaboy »

I would use the greenery thay was still present at the apex(seen on the back view) to create a crown while trimming down the main branches foilage. Develop a couple of nice foilage pads over a couple of years and 'Hey Presto' an informal upright root over rock similar to what we see done with Junipers.

Just my two cents worth ;)

Good luck,

buddaboy
I am the black sheep of the Bonsai world.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

it looks like you have a new leader growing up top there, you may have plans already, but my thoughts are, chop back the foliage my 50% or more and this should encourage the tree to pop buds down lower! then rebuild the tree from the new shoots chosen, in a tropical climate this could be done in a matter of a few months with a continuous grow season, but i didnt check where you were :? :lol:

will get the same effect in a hot house or if you are having some warm weather, anything between 20-30 degrees is ideal.

or you could do what B-Dog says and trunk chop the sucker and sumo-erize it! eh B-Dog ;) :lol:

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
bonzaidog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus,olives,bougies
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop Inc, Bonsai Society of WA

Post by bonzaidog »

Sumo-erizing sounds like fun Jamie...but as you know it's always harder when its your own tree....well,for me anyway! :lol: sometimes it's good to just bite the bullet and some great results can come about...there's some young canine fellow around here, keeps trying to teach us to see the smallest tree! I think I can see some good stuff in the background of shot one as well, Any further pictorials BB50? :) ....Dog.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

bonzaidog wrote:Sumo-erizing sounds like fun Jamie...but as you know it's always harder when its your own tree....well,for me anyway! :lol: sometimes it's good to just bite the bullet and some great results can come about...there's some young canine fellow around here, keeps trying to teach us to see the smallest tree! I think I can see some good stuff in the background of shot one as well, Any further pictorials BB50? :) ....Dog.

by golly i think your right about some fine stuff in the back ground B-Dog!!

and its hard to chop down to start with but on the other hand once you do it a couple of times you get used to it and then you get some wicked results! ;) :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

B/boy. I favour chopping at the black line and working with the first branch. You might wish to pot it with less lean next time.
If you air-layer where shown instead of a brutal chop, you will have two usable trees. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

The second bit of foliage on the right... I'd cut to have that as the new leader. Trim the large left branch back heavily to get more growing energy up to the new apex and let the fig start off from there.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”