PHOTO HINTS for STYLING HELP

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

PHOTO HINTS for STYLING HELP

Post by MelaQuin »

When you want to photograph trees to post for styling help PLEASE...
1) Remove tree from the plastic pot
2) Remove as much top soil as necessary to show any additional wood that will eventually be exposed.
3) Remove unwanted dead branches and dead foliage and any foliage that you KNOW you won't need.
4) Photograph the tree OUT of the pot so the pot rim is not hiding anything.

Yes, some trees it is not easy to remove from the pot but most trees, particularly new stock, you can. If the soil is crumbly and/or the tree won't stand upright, I would put more soil in the bottom of the pot and put the tree back in the pot so the nebari area is at the top of the pot so it is fully exposed. Then you can put it back properly once the photo is taken.

It is really impossible to attempt to style a tree without seeing the entire trunk/nebari as those elements have a major impact on the styling options. And trying to see the potential of a tree when 90% of the trunk is hidden by foliage is very difficult. I know we are only supplying ideas but you could still get a lot more pertinent feedback if the full tree is showing.. or as much as possible.

I would presume with collected stock that the tree has been planted to its final soil level. But with purchased trees you can find heaps more trunk and sometimes bad roots, sometimes good roots under the soil, features that can augment a design and make an ordinary tree special, or a special tree very ordinary.

So.... a bit more prep on your 'please help' photos. We can then have more scope with our responses.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”