An Alternative to Broom style

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

An Alternative to Broom style – Willow Leaf Example

Post by sreeve »

Broom style is a great solution for a straight trunk having a common diameter, however I wanted to try something different and used a technique my father (Barry) has been using successfully for some time. It was also a good excuse and opportunity for father and son to do some bonsai together, so with Dad’s guidance we modified a Willow leaf fig.

Step 1
The following photos show the plant in the beginning.

Two lines are drawn on the front and the rear of the plant to form a "V-Shape".

Positioning of the lines is made with care to take advantage of root structure, side branching (if existent) and also to get similar surface shapes / dimensions in both the LHS (Left Hand Side) and RHS (Right hand Side) – which is important as you will see later.

When making the lines, keep in mind that a single saw cut will join both front and rear lines in future steps.
Before - Front showing outline.JPG
Before - Rear showing outline.JPG
Step 2
Now remove the top so that a saw cut can be started at the top of the marked lines.

A sharp saw (ideally with minimal teeth offset) is used to cut down each marked line.
It is important that a single saw cut joins the front and back marked lines.

For each of the “V-lines” try and cut from only one side ie only front or back.

Again - It is important to get a clean single face to each cut.

Assuming you are cutting from the front and notice that you are moving significantly away from the rear line, then restart the cut. It is important that a single flat face exists from front to back of the tree.

You are trying to get two flat faces so that the LHS and RHS can be offered up to each other with no gaps between them. This is impossible to achieve if the saw cuts are multi facetted and literally look like someone chewed the two halves :D .

Quite simply, If a single face is not produced, then you will not be able to get good contact between the two halves.
Front - cut to base of roots.JPG
Rear - top cut off and cut down to root level.JPG
Step 3
Each of the two cuts are continued until a wedge is removed. You can see the removed wedge to the RHS of the plant.
Front - cut to base of roots wedge removed.JPG
Step 4
Now that the wedge has been removed it is time to remove the balance of redundant base roots. You should perform all root pruning in preparation for transplanting.

It is much easier to do this work now – before the next step.
Front - lower roots removed.JPG
Step 5
The next step is pretty easy….the cuts have been made, the roots prepared, it is now simply a matter of making a single vertical cut down to separate the LHS and RHS of the tree.
Front - cut in half.JPG
(Note: contrary to what was said above about root pruning….we elected to remove the large rear “tubular root” after this stage.

Step 6
Now offer LHS and RHS to each other.

Look for protrusions on the cut face which prevent the two halves meeting perfectly – you want to get them as close as possible.
(It is now that you appreciate having used a double cut saw with little offset in teeth as the cut faces will be really neat and the subsequent healing will be much quicker and more successful.)

Clean up any protrusions so that the majority of the two faces join as near to perfect as possible.

Don’t be too worried about the bottom (near the roots) as when you tighten the top part of the tree, the base will tend to open up slightly.
Offering two halves together.JPG
Step 7
Now that you are satisfied with the mating faces and the relative position of each half, you should drill a small pilot hole completely through the first half and partially through the second half in preparation for a screw which will be used later in this step to tightly secure both halves at the bottom.

Now drill a slight clearance hole through the first half and also a countersink in preparation for the screw head.

It is a bit late to mention now……….., but prior to even starting you should have selected a stainless steel screw of appropriate length and diameter……

For a tree of size used in this example a single screw is adequate. For a really large tree, you may need to use additional screws.

Now screw the two halves together to ensure that the thread etc take, the screw is the correct length and more particularly that you are satisfied with the positioning of the two halves.
Countersink and drill starter hole.JPG
Step 8
In preparation for the joining phase, ensure you have appropriate clamps on hand and wire (if required) ready to twist and tighten.

If necessary, re-screw the two halves together and apply your clamps etc…….It is important to know what clamps you are going to use and where they will be placed BEFORE you start the gluing process……

Glue is now applied to ensure that all parts of one surface are covered uniformly and there are no parts not covered. For good measure Dad also covered the second face, but this was not as important – more a “belt and braces” approach.
Applying Gorilla Glue.JPG
Dad uses “Gorilla Glue” which Peter Adams demonstrated when he visited Australia recently. Dad imported a full carton of this glue and I, like a few other members here was lucky enough to get some.
[As an aside, Bretts and a few other members here also found a similar Australian glue of a different brand, but similar composition – see separate thread for details)

Be careful that you don’t take too long in applying the glue as it will start to foam up a little and this can be quite an encouragement to get a wriggle on…..

Step 9
Now offer the two halves together, insert and tighten the screw, apply the clamps and if desired / necessary use wire to tighten the uppermost sections together.

The glue will now start to foam more and will be oozing out of the join. You can wipe up some excess – it will save you a little time tomorrow.

Don’t be too worried about excess glue being present as this brand of glue is quite easy to remove the next day.
Clamping after gluing and screwing.JPG
Don’t be deceived by the excess glue….if the procedure is applied correctly, the two halves are very closely mated together.

Step 10
The next day, remove the clamps, leaving the stainless steel screw in situ.

Remove the balance of excess glue.

The two halves will not be identical and now is the time to trim them flat.

Apply a wound sealant to the trimmed edge.
Finished - Front view.JPG
Finished - Side view.JPG
Depending on the plant and the time of year, sit back and wait….It could be as little as 4 – 6 weeks before the join line is only known by you and anyone you care to tell…..

The success rate of this is fantastic…..

It’s a great way to get some taper in each plane.

Sure, there isn’t much movement and it is quite symmetrical, but then again, there wouldn’t be much movement in a broom style either.

Hope the above is of assistance and interest to some.

As far as I am concerned, I am glad that Dad showed me how he has been performing his magic on some really thick and serious trees – more so it was a great way to spend a couple of hours with him…..until next time…….

Regards
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Re: An Alternative to Broom style – Willow Leaf Example

Post by jarryd »

this is a really cool technique, at first i just thought you were going to just do a craig cousins style carved split trunk but i was impressed with the idea shown here. sure its symetrical and rigid but its a hell of a lot better looking stock now then it began as

thanks for sharing :D
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

that is absolutely brilliant steve :D how did you and your dad come up with it?

the fact that it has no movement isnt an issue it is going to be a broom style tree, and you have basically made a perfect trunk for it, you could also use this sort of trunk for formal upright style aswell.

cheers mate, very interesting, i might have to give it a crack some time!

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sreeve »

Hi Jarryd and Jamie – glad you enjoyed the post and alternative idea.

I can’t claim any credit, it was all Dad…..I am not sure how much he “invented” vs combined with what he had seen before.
I know he has been refining and modifying this particular method for a few years, either way, it’s a pretty cool idea.

That’s one of the nice things about our art, there is always something new to try, learn or innovate from

Regards
Steve
bonzaidog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus,olives,bougies
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop Inc, Bonsai Society of WA

Post by bonzaidog »

Hi steve...Nice work!..Any ideas how that sort of technique would go on a big benji? I have a stump that requires taper!. :) ...Dog
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

spot on there steve, its a great idea, simple yet so useful all in one.

you could go with the broom or a formal upright with that sort of trunk, if ya really wanted to and you had a big enough stump it could also make a sumo... ;)

i reckon i might even have a trunk i can try this on :D its a ficus as well.

ps- B-dog :) it would work on a benji, just make sure its not one of the cultivars like to little or exotica etc as they dont like to back bud to well, the standard benji will back bud ok though :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
bonzaidog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus,olives,bougies
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop Inc, Bonsai Society of WA

Post by bonzaidog »

Jamie...I reckon it could be a cultivar,It was and old standard found in a skip bin,from memory the leaves where the smaller,curled type,not like your everyday benj,it has been slow to recover,so I'll have to wait and see.. :) ....Dog
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

bonzaidog wrote:Jamie...I reckon it could be a cultivar,It was and old standard found in a skip bin,from memory the leaves where the smaller,curled type,not like your everyday benj,it has been slow to recover,so I'll have to wait and see.. :) ....Dog
i think i know which one you mean mate, i actually picked a standard up ages ago aswell and chopped it down to three inches tall, stuck the long trunk into some soil not thinking it would do anything but it has struck roots and is powering underneath the soil, its just not playing nice on budding, which i am having the same problem with the nebari base that i cut to three inches, hence i have moved to grafting on the branches and the likes, i am using tiger bark ficus leaves, pretty small they were to. it just means i will have to graft all the branching and stuff, but thats ok by me :D

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Hawaiian77
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Azalea
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Hawaiian77 »

Well done mate!! This idea is a keeper. Must be cool working with you dad. :D

-Tim 8-)
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
~ Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama ~
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Hey cus! this is a rippa trick!!! That trunk is so much better for it. Look forward to seeing where you take it from here. Keep us updated and thanks for sharing. :D 8-)
Regards Antonio:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Thats a ripper Steve. Looking forward to having a closer look :)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Every now and then i see a new technique that blows me away. This is one of those times. Amazing job guys.

Will be interesting to see how the scar looks in the future.

Joel
Last edited by Joel on February 4th, 2010, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: CCBC, CBS, VNBC, BSST

Post by hugh grant »

Hey Steve that's an awsome technique, great idea of oyur dads :D
you know that would be a great demo to do at one of the meetings some time, I'm sure everyone would be amazed by it especially all the newbys :lol: :lol:

great work hope to see it when it's healed

Hugh ;)
Tree Makers Making Australian Bonsai
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW
https://www.treemakers.net/

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/treemakersbonsai
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tree_makers/
E: Hughgrant@treemakers.net
MasonC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: None

Post by MasonC »

Holy $#!^ OMG thats great..... how long will it take for that to fuse together?
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sreeve »

Hi Mason,
It is going really well now - new buds popping out.
Not sure whether it will be totally healed over by the end of winter as it will slow down for a couple of months.

I have had a few messages from people who were sceptical of it being alive still.....
I will post a picture next weekend as an update.
Regards
Steve

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”