Clear Plastic Tubing

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Clear Plastic Tubing

Post by MelaQuin »

You can get this at hardware stores and probably aquariums. I keep a stock in my wire carrier.
Run a guy wire through one or two cut lengths and the tubed area goes around the trunk and the branch/root so the pressure from the guy does not cut in to the bark when you tighten the guy.
Run a wire through a longer length and wire a rapidly growing tree. A bit clumsy but it works and minimises wire cuts
Run a wire through a length long enough to cover the wire around the trunk and the early part of a branch and wire the rest with naked wire.

On some trees if I want to lower branches I will make a cradle under the pot with two to four wires coming up and where they touch the ceramic pot I use the plastic to keep the wire from possibly damaging the surface. On this note, I picked up some flat plastic curtain rings and I attach 4 [or however many needed] pieces of wire to the ring, position the ring under the pot and run the wires up They are firmly anchored,they don't slip around the pot and the flat ring does not have enough height to cause the pot base to be uneven.
Last edited by MelaQuin on January 21st, 2009, 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Clear Plastic Tubing

Post by Jon Chown »

Good tip Lee, I use the black irrigation pipe that you screw the jets into as it has a thicker wall.

Jon
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Re: Clear Plastic Tubing

Post by aaron_tas »

awesome tip lee, i use it too :!: i still have some of that stuff from years ago, i found a roll of about 10 metres when i moved into a new place, lucky me :D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”