Seiju Elm

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Seiju Elm

Post by Bretts »

I got this Suji Elm from Bonsai South a couple of years ago. It was great stock and very easy to do the initial styling on. After a slow first year it has come along nicley this season. Although I have wired major branches I think the apearance would benifit from an all over wiring wich will have to wait until leaf fall for my fat fingers. I am still not happy with the back branch I want one slightly higher. This would stop any taper issues at the first bend in the future. If I could get a bud there I could grow a new back branch in a year or two easy. But even though the Suji buds out everywere and constantly needs adventourous buds cut out of the cragly bark all over it refuses to give me a bud in this area. I may try a graft next year.

My main concern and reason for posting is I am after advice on what I can do about the moss or whatever it may be called growing on the trunk. It has always been there and does not seem to harm the tree. Although I do get concerned about the bark staying damp. I have the tree in FULL sun all day. Generally I have let the soil get fairly dry to avoid dampness at the base. Although the damp bark does not seem to harm the tree. It is vigorous and healthy but I would rather get rid of the green colour on the bark. Even if it is not contributing to the dampness it makes it look more damp anyway :| I was told that Suji elm like lots of water(by This guy http://www.cbs.org.au/NBPCA/Introducing ... urator.htm )wich suprised me as I was treating like a normal elm or pine and had been letting it dry out some what.
I have been told to remove with Dynamo on a tooth brush but I feel the bark is too coarse and delicate for this. I also read recently that roundup can be used carefully on the bark of a tree as long as it does not get on the leaves. That just sounds to scary for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on January 24th, 2009, 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Suji Elm

Post by Jon Chown »

Hey Brett, I really like this little beggar, bundles of potential with not much work. From what I can see, I am doubtful if the green stuff is moss but more likely lichen. I would give it a scrub with a tooth brush and vinegar.

Jon
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

Toothbrush and vinegar, thats what i reckon, and if your worried about it being to rough, use an old one

Love the Suji elms, the bark is the best
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thanks Guys I might give it a bit of a go but the bark is very fragile, I would be sure to lose at least some. It will grow back in time I guess but :?
Do I dilute the vinigar?
It has been great stock to work with Jon. I paid more per pound for this one from bonsai south but it was worth it. Some people have stated die back on the Suji fine branching I have not experienced this yet. The big test will be next season as I have a close eye on my branches.
bonsai elm01.jpg
The tree as I got it
bonsai elm3.jpg
First styling
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on January 24th, 2009, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

Bret, I did not want to appear ignorant but on reflection is this elm a Seju or is it really a Suji. I did a quick google and found both but I suspect that Suji may be incorrect spelling. Can you clarify?

Jon

ps - Use the Vinegar straight.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I did a google for the spelling as I always take a guess I got Suji comming up as the spelling but that did seem wrong to me. I often have a laugh as I only read the names of trees and when I finally hear someone speak the name of a tree it is like a "oh is that how you say it" seju or however it is spelt was onother when watching a bonsai DVD the other month :lol:
Just did a search under Seju and google asked if I wanted Seiju Brent Walton has it as Seiju so I believe that must be it.
I have just edited the heading. Was not sure I could do that :D
Last edited by Bretts on January 24th, 2009, 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Seiju Elm

Post by Pup »

Brett I spray my Suberosa which is the Corky bark elm with vinegar at full strength. That way you do kill of the moss or lichen without touching the bark which is fragile on both species. Malt vinegar Mum always has some in the cupboard. :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

looking good brett i look forward to its progress. i agree with pup try spray for now, tooth brush last resort. :D
Regards Antonio:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thanks for the help. I have sprayed it with white vinigar, we had every vinager execpt malt :(
I am sure I have missed some but I can always do another coat when I see were it has died of. How long before I see results, a few days to a week?
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

soltan wrote:Thanks for the help. I have sprayed it with white vinigar, we had every vinager execpt malt :(
I am sure I have missed some but I can always do another coat when I see were it has died of. How long before I see results, a few days to a week?
I have seen results in a couple of days a lot depends on Temps, and seeing as it is warm all round our Great country. it should show up pretty quick. Vinegar
is acid so it should not matter whether it is white or brown. It is just that Mum always has both and that one is usually the easiest to get out of her ( as she
told me yesterday Pantry ) cupboard. :D
Last edited by Pup on January 25th, 2009, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I agree it looks far more like lichen than moss and that adds to the character of the tree. Lichen is more of a dry growing plant so I would leave it. I have this starting on one of my junipers and there is no way I would take it off. It give a more 'ancient' look to the trunk or branches where it is.

However, if you insist, and it is your tree, why not 'blot' it with cotton wool dipped in vinegar. That should not upset the delicate structure of the bark and it would be a shame to lose any bark on that tree.

And what I know of seiju elms is that suddenly, for no known reason, a foliage pad suddenly dies. Unstoppable - it is a trait of the tree. Good luck.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thaks Pup
Melaquin I have had that side put to me and at first I did like some but it is taking over the tree. Since the rough bark on the tree is one of it's best features I would like to see it in all it's glory. It is an intresting piont about growing in dry. I will keep that in mind :?
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

The vinigar in spray bottle worked very well in removing the green growth. Thanks
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

I have read with interest the use of vinegar. I have previously resorted to diluted Armillotox, which is a substance possibly now banned because of carcinogenic risks. This is assuming that an old toothbrush is not sufficient. I have also brushed in light cooking oil to good effect. This being one of my procedures before showing a tree. It brings out the best in any bark. The unglazed pots get the same treatment. :lol:
Incidentally; Seiju is the correct nomenclature. ;)
Last edited by stymie on March 9th, 2009, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

I do get concerned about the bark staying damp[quote][/quote]
Colin Lweis talks about wrapping his English elms & hawthorns with sphagnam moss for a few years to improve the thickness of the trunk and bark texture (see The Art of Bonsai Design pg 19). The trees have no ill effects. I assume that your Seiju elm wouldn't have a problem if it was a bit damp.
EdwardH

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”