Heat Stress

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Re: Heat Stress

Post by Asus101 »

its currently 47.6 and its 11am

EDIT
11:18 48.8*c

11:46 49.1

12:10 49.6*c

1:20 pm Outside temperature is 49.8 C

Can we make it lads?
Last edited by Asus101 on February 7th, 2009, 12:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Arrrrg :shock:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Asus101 wrote:its currently 47.6 and its 11am

EDIT
11:18 48.8*c
So I guess I shouldn't complain about it being 42 here with strong, gusty winds... I've filled a large black recycling tub with water, and I suspect much of my day will be spent dunking trees.

Good luck all!

Fly.
Last edited by FlyBri on February 7th, 2009, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

Ill be updating that post.... check up as it goes.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Since your post stating humidity Ben I havehad my temp hydromater gauge with my trees. I have been getting a humidity % level in the low twenties . It is lucky to get in the high twenties after watering or misting. I tend to get higher with watering? The temp has been ok from low to mid thirties at the hottest time of day were my trees are. When it is high thirty to forty degree days. I put the gauge out with my sun lovers leaning against a pot the other day and the digital screen went black from the heat. My screen came back when it showed 45 degrees. That scared me enough to bring them in for some protection :shock:

What humidity are you getting today around your trees and out in the open?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I saw a good quote on your heat stress hints on BT Ben that stated Morning sun ends at 10am I think that is a good way to look at it :)
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

My tree's that get misted are in a tight group along the side of the house, and are enclosed completely.
The humidity is high enough to feel, and lasts for a number of hours before needing to be re done, not sure the actually %.
i have started to introduce babies tears to the floor to help keep it up as well.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Good luck Guys ours has dropped to 29 today but it is set to start rising tomorrow till it gets to 41 by next week end.
One of my Granduaghters is getting Married next Saturday so we are hoping for cooler weather for then. :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I have some intresting results at the moment.
Our officlal temp here is 36.3 at the moment. It was 36.7 in my shady area with a humidity of 20%. While I misted I put the temp gauge with the couple of trees still out in the sun It got to 45.5 and was still rising the humidity did not change from 20% and that is our current official reading. I even used a pool temp gauge to check it is working properly and that gave the same temp reading :?
After misting I replaced the temp hydromater gauge back in the shade area and after some time it dropped down to 31.1 but the humidity is still the same at 20%.
Now I'm confused. Unless my hydrometer does not go below 20% I can't say I remember it going any lower?
Last edited by Bretts on February 7th, 2009, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hector Johnson »

Sit the tender ones in water and don't worry about whether it can do them damage... it can't damage them as much as the heat.
buddaboy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Flowering Apricot, Bougainvillea

Post by buddaboy »

I keep most of my more tender trees under a Ponciana up the back yard. They all survived my week long Xmas holiday, but I havent had to deal with those sort of temps.

Ron
I am the black sheep of the Bonsai world.
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hector Johnson »

The measurement of official temperatures is done in a slatted wooden box that is at least a metre off the ground. That way you get a true temperature reading of the air.
You'll always get hotter temperatures in full sun or closer to the ground, where radiated heat can have an effect. Of course, if your trees are down near the ground then they're at risk.

Good to hear you guys have had a cool change come through.
Milehigh_7
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that will grow in 46C+ and 5% humidity
Bonsai Age: 17

Post by Milehigh_7 »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here but as I live in Las Vegas Nevada I may be of some use to you.

1) Shade -- NO direct sun after 10AM on the hottest days. Use shade cloth a patio anything you have to but NO direct sun.
Shade your pots as well sun on the pots and soil can increase your root temps 10C

2) Humidity -- be sure you are using a VERY fast draining soil and water 3 or more times per day.
Crowd your plants as close together as you can during the hottest times this will increase the ambient humidity and lower the temps via evaporative cooling
You can even place trays of wet sand under your benches to increase the humidity
Mist if this is an option it cools the air significantly

3) Radiant heat -- This is the sneaky killer. You must be aware of radiant heat from anything near your trees.

4) Don't feed nitrogen going into the hottest time. The flush of fresh leaves will increase the transpiration rate.

If I can think of anymore things I will post. I know there are a couple I am forgetting. Good luck!
Ash Barns
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers,Pines.Tridents etc
Bonsai Age: 21

Post by Ash Barns »

Mile High_ 7 good to see you in here welcome to our site.

Ash 8-)
http://bonsaivaultforum.freeforums.org/portal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Milehigh_7 wrote:Hello everyone,

This is my first post here but as I live in Las Vegas Nevada I may be of some use to you.

1) Shade -- NO direct sun after 10AM on the hottest days. Use shade cloth a patio anything you have to but NO direct sun.
Shade your pots as well sun on the pots and soil can increase your root temps 10C

2) Humidity -- be sure you are using a VERY fast draining soil and water 3 or more times per day.
Crowd your plants as close together as you can during the hottest times this will increase the ambient humidity and lower the temps via evaporative cooling
You can even place trays of wet sand under your benches to increase the humidity
Mist if this is an option it cools the air significantly

3) Radiant heat -- This is the sneaky killer. You must be aware of radiant heat from anything near your trees.

4) Don't feed nitrogen going into the hottest time. The flush of fresh leaves will increase the transpiration rate.

If I can think of anymore things I will post. I know there are a couple I am forgetting. Good luck!
great post mile high :D
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”