Heat Stress

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Heat Stress

Post by Pup »

The next few days Victoria is going to get Temps that I and a few others here Experience on a regular basis.
So I thought a few tips might help. If you put old carpet or shade cloth mats over your pots. News Paper watered and waited down helps.
A few buckets of water or bigger receptacles around your Bonsai area to create Humidity.
I have shade cloth over my trees for Summer.
I take it down over winter. I have for the last 15 years since I moved to the southern suburbs of Perth.
:) I hope this helps some of you get through this period with out too much stress on you or your trees. Good luck Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn
Bonsai Age: 20

Re: Heat Stress

Post by Marc »

Thanks Pup, yep, my babies are going to need all the help they can get. I have about 30 or so, so not a lot compared to others. So I tend to put them all on the ground in shade over days like these. A few days in shade, especially at 40 is not a question for me, even the sun lovers sitting in their pots on these days simply cook.

I'm lucky, I have a few trees that shade some of them nicely, very convenient for me. But, not enough for all of them, so I take some down off their stands and stick them around the house too, just in dark corners for the few days.

It's a bit of work taking them down again and gain, however, i'd rather they lived than died.

When I water I let the watering can drench them and the ground around them to try to help keep it humid, so the grass and the dirt on the ground helps moderate the temp a little.

Poor things, we're getting about 4 days or more of 40. not good. I know other places such as Perth and especially Adelaide get this more often that us...
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Marc »

Thanks Pup, yep, my babies are going to need all the help they can get. I have about 30 or so, so not a lot compared to others. So I tend to put them all on the ground in shade over days like these. A few days in shade, especially at 40 is not a question for me, even the sun lovers sitting in their pots on these days simply cook.

I'm lucky, I have a few trees that shade some of them nicely, very convenient for me. But, not enough for all of them, so I take some down off their stands and stick them around the house too, just in dark corners for the few days.

It's a bit of work taking them down again and gain, however, i'd rather they lived than died.

When I water I let the watering can drench them and the ground around them to try to help keep it humid, so the grass and the dirt on the ground helps moderate the temp a little.

Poor things, we're getting about 4 days or more of 40. not good. I know other places such as Perth and especially Adelaide get this more often that us...
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Wise advice! I heard that the temp in Melbourne is in the 40's today! Wouldnt like to be on centre court for 2 or 3 hours in that! Aparently the temp on centre court is about 8 degrees hotter! Stay cool all you people down there.
Peter
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Great tips Pup.

On Saturday the temperature at my office (Rosehill NSW) reached 48 degrees!!! To help my plants cope I cut lots of leafy bamboo canes from some clumps I have and lightly covered my bonsai. 100% success with no burnt leaves at all. It's good to be able to make do with what you have around.

Today it is cool and drizzling - just what I and my garden/bonsai need!

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Marc »

If the plants survive this week, burnt leaves or not, then i'll be happy!
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

i agree, if my plants survive ill be jumping for joy, fingers crossed for all in melb and anywhere that is going throuhg this dry spell, as hard as it is!
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
ketutg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by ketutg »

thanks for the tips everyone. Today and the next few days in Adelaide are going to be 41!! it will cool down to the high 30s (i.e. 39, 37) after that :oops:
All of my trees are now under shade
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Guys remember water and mist if you have too, but at the same time do it carefully so little is wasted.

I use a yates product called stress guard. Helps a lot up here as it reduces water loss through the leaves.

Remember maples will burn even out of the sun in this heat, but if they have a humid surround the burning wont be as bad. I have my shade house misted twice a day and the humidity sits at about 50% and I have had no burning since.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

thanks for tips pup. ;) got any for the races. :lol:
Regards Antonio:
ketutg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by ketutg »

it reached 45.7 degrees in adelaide today making it the second hottest day in SA ever!! they say there will be more than 6 days in a row over 40 (yesterday it was 43), I hope it doesn't cause my plants too much stress...
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Marc »

After coming home from work today, about all my plants were looking very bad... about the only ones that weren't were the pines... however, even some of my toughest were wilting badly... we got 42 or 43 today, 43 tomorrow and similar to ADL, a long hot week still to come.

I'm worried, even in the shade, there is no hiding from this heat. A few more days like this, i'm predicting a few fatalities,i think it will be inevitable... :cry:
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

May be time for some type of water trough. Good luck guys that is not a good scenerio. :( Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I'd be stacking them in the house as much as possible. On Sydney's 45 degree day two years ago I was home, watered fully four times, get 3 pm shade on the major benches and still had some damage and lost a couple. And that was just one day! My fingers are crossed for all you in those heat areas. Our $2 shops are flogging long, narrow, black trays for $2 and they make great water trays. If you're working it could be a possibility to pay for those people who tend pets and plants at home to come around a couple of times during the day to water. Other suggestions above are very good.

My thoughts are with you.
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all types
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: The South Australian Bonsai Society

Post by Chris »

i have lost 3 so far during the heat we still have another week of this heat to go there will be 3 days of 38 and the rest up to 41 i have lost 3 plants :.( the days i have lost plants are the days when it gets windy i will have to sort out some type of hot house and keep the wind out thanks for the tips from this thread
NO TREE IS SAFE

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”