Short nodes an a ficus.

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Short nodes an a ficus.

Post by Asus101 »

I have been experimenting on a hills fig I got for $5 attempting to get the nodes a great deal shorter than they where.
I have found that by cutting out the new leaf tip forces back budding between the nodes and if done only a few times you not only have short nodes and leaf, but also a finer branch structure. I have been letting it put out two to 4 leaves before nipping it out, and so far have had success.
Also you can then take cuttings from that plant with the short nodes (given that the two are the same species) and graft them onto the refined tree. Its one part of the secrete of Taiwan's Ficuses.

Ill be trying this on some Morten bays when they get larger, but if someone wants to try it post result!
Young and hostile but not stupid.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: Short nodes an a ficus.

Post by MelaQuin »

Thanks for the hint... I have two of my three figs that think they are trying for long distance branches and extend very quickly. I will try this method and see if it helps with a Port Jackson.

A bonsai mate prefers to repot figs every other year as the growth is less rank when they are a bit root bound.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Re: Short nodes an a ficus.

Post by Asus101 »

Looking at results, basically its shooting back, and then not being allowed to grow too long. I'll keep it up on one I'm working on atm.
Young and hostile but not stupid.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”