Ficus - Root over Rock (object)

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Ficus - Root over Rock (object)

Post by mudlarkpottery »

I have a query regarding the roots of figs growing over objects. They are already clasping the rock.
Will they thicken up faster covered or uncovered?
Penny.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Ficus - Root over Rock (object)

Post by Jon Chown »

Penny, before we go further we must first describe 'Clasping'. Roots entwined around a rock are not clasping, for roots to be clasping the rock must stay in place unsupported while holding the tree up by the trunk and shaking it a bit.

Now, if we can agree on this point, I believe that there will be little difference in the thickening of the root whether it is above or below the ground. In saying that, it should be understood that to create a convincing root over rock the roots should be bound tightly over the rock and then burried for at the very least 12 months but preferably 2 years. This created mor fine feeder roots which in turn thicken the main support roots to be used in the eventual design.

Jon
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

definitely covered penny :D

even if you get roots coming off the roots where you don't want them, treat them as a sacrifice branch... cut em off next time, or jam them in the next crevice :D they'll get thicker...

maybe some photo's might help
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

There was a thinking that roots exposed to the sun would not thicken as fast as those under the ground. I found this a bit hard to except. I think Jon and aaron have the right idea though.
I Don't think exposure to the elements has anything to do with it exept that new feeder roots will not grow on exposed roots(in general) Then if you think of it like a branch if you alowed one branch to only have end shoots but another to be coverd in shoots then obviously the one that has the most growing shoots will thicken faster.

So it is not really about wether the root is exposed or not it is about the amount of feeder roots or side roots each root has. It will often take the two years to get a balanced root system over a rock. Possibly more. I still like the technique of slowly lowering the soil level
Last edited by Bretts on January 31st, 2009, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Hi Jon. They are at that stage - 12mths to 2yrs. and have been covered for that time. To take photos, I'd have to uncover them, but with 40+ temps for the last two weeks, I don't think so. At the moment, I'm consoling myself with a few beers and wasabi peas ( they are seriously moreish). I've been busy glazing pots and packing the kiln today - this is my reward. Aaron and Brett, I've kept them covered because of the reasons you both state but a few people have said that they grow better uncovered. I just thought I'd get a consensus of opinion. I'll take photos as soon as possible as I want to see the development of the roots too. Time for another beer.
Penny.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”