Liquid Amber

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Re: Liquid Amber

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Josh,

I am no good with virts, so I will try and explain.

If the pic you have shown of the trunk shows it's best side with nebari in mind, then the branch you have shortened would be a good line to keep. If you do that, then you would have a good first branch coming from the left of the trunk already.

I may be all wrong, kinda hard to tell with a 2 dimensional pic. Study the tree hard Josh, and pick the best view of the roots accompanied with a good line in the trunk. Dont worry - it will shoot back freely.

cheers,
Leigh.
Cheers,
Leigh.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Liquid Amber

Post by Jon Chown »

Hi Josh, thanks for sharing the photo, it's aripper alright. I have to agree with Leigh on what I would do with it though, even though we are only looking at one side the three branches on the RH side are too close together for me. I think that I would wait till next spring and do a repot and see what roots you have under the surface and then make a decision as to front and direction to take this one but either way it sure has good taper and if you begin with new branches they will be in better proportion to the trunk.
Liquid Amber 1.jpg
Good luck with it.

Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”