mel advice.

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

mel advice.

Post by Asus101 »

Mainly for pup, but if others know feel free to shoot.

I have a paperbark in training, it can be found somewhere around here before wire. Since cutting back hard, its pushed about an inch or more of new growth.
Now I don't need new branches, i need to start forming pads and dense foliage. Should I let the growth harden before pinching back to force more budding, or should I nip it now?
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: mel advice.

Post by Pup »

Asus101 wrote:Mainly for pup, but if others know feel free to shoot.

I have a paperbark in training, it can be found somewhere around here before wire. Since cutting back hard, its pushed about an inch or more of new growth.
Now I don't need new branches, i need to start forming pads and dense foliage. Should I let the growth harden before pinching back to force more budding, or should I nip it now?
Start nipping back as soon as it has reached a suitable length. You will find the same in a week if you keep the humidity around them.
Can you remember what species? Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Pup wrote:
Asus101 wrote:Mainly for pup, but if others know feel free to shoot.

Start nipping back as soon as it has reached a suitable length. You will find the same in a week if you keep the humidity around them.
Can you remember what species? Pup
Stepholoides but I blame ash for the bad spelling :D

it sits in water, I give a few days every two weeks to dry a little.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I remove any excess growth as it develops in order to put the power to the growth that I want. I have a steph as well and it is powering on from being cut from 2 metres to 25 cm. At this stage I am letting growth develop but I will have to put it on the workbench soon and sort out what I do and don't want.

I also have a lineariifolia that is a nuisance. It was heavily cut down and has grown a flock of new branchlets but it won't shoot back lower on the trunk, all the growth is clustered in the top 10 cm. Any hints as to how to encourage it to shoot lower???

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”