What lillypilly........

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: elms,ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

What lillypilly........

Post by krittas »

If i want to bonsai a lillypilly what is the best one for doing this....there is so many varieties and as this is my first real go at anything native i could do with some help....
I guess im asking for common names more then anything else as there seems to be a wide variety in this bracket.....
Sorry if this has been asked before..... :?
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: What lillypilly........

Post by anttal63 »

hey krittas where you from in australia? i personally like dwarf lilly pilly for shohin sometimes known as tiny trev. i also like weeping lilly pilly it tends to flare at the base and its elegant weeping foliage is a pale green in colour. i have 2 australis that are very difficult to taper for its lack of basal flare. how ever the foliage when tender is a warm brown then later goes a dark green, very nice. flowering is prolific on these. they may need a skirt layer to widen the bases. fly bri has had success in this. i hope this helps. :D
Regards Antonio:
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I think it is a case of wandering through the native section of a nursery and spotting a leaf that takes your fancy.
The LPs with the pink new growth are lovely but that growth is on the end of a long shoot... you would lose it by bonsaiing.
There's a new LP out that is resistent to psyllids... a very good thing indeed - and the leaves are small.
There is another fairly new hybrid out with tiny leaves.... good thing to go for.
LPs develop fairly quickly so you can buy a ratty looking one with possibilities and develop a nice tree. It is not necessarily a named species, but what is available where you are and what you like.

So grab what you can and go for it. If possible try to buy in flowering/fruiting season as you can get different flowers and fruits.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I was at Flower Power in Sydney today and they have a very nice selection of lillypillys; small leaves to large, pink tipped, green or copperish foliage.... go shopping!!!
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hi krittas, try a new cultivar Syzygium 'Tayla Made', a dwarf Brush Cherry which is near enough to a Lilly Pilly. Very small leaves that reduce well, very suitable for shohin, but fine for larger trees as well. Defoliates well, will take heavy pruning (it has been bred for hedging) handles the cold and heat isn't an issue either. This species is usually grown from tissue culture or cuttings, which means that they will flower straight away, they have fluffy white flowers, typical of the Myrtle family.

MM
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by Elias »

I would suggest having a look at Acmena 'Allyn Magic' a good dwarf variety, or syzygium leuhmannii they have nice small leaves and nice colour, I have used both in landscaping and I think they could work :)
Last edited by Elias on May 25th, 2009, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”