celtis sinensis

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
mickster
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20

celtis sinensis

Post by mickster »

Hi everyone!I'm after a Chinese Hackberry starter and wondered if they are available at any Brisbane Bonsai nurseries?? Appreciate any feedback,Mick.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: celtis sinensis

Post by PeterW »

mickster wrote:Hi everyone!I'm after a Chinese Hackberry starter and wondered if they are available at any Brisbane Bonsai nurseries?? Appreciate any feedback,Mick.

I have seen them at The Australian Bonsai Grower (Steve Rawkins) nursery at Park ridge.
mickster
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by mickster »

Thanks Pete,I'll check them out.Mick.
Stimson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Post by Stimson »

just go our for a walk along some of Brisbanes Creeks, you will find them everywhere. There used to be a spot near the golf course at herston (near the RBH) but i think BCC has cleared most of them now. I dug a few stumps out of there a few years ago.
mickster
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by mickster »

Hi,thanks for the reply.I live up north and don't get down your way but I'm thinking of flying down and visiting a few nurseries as there is nothing up this way to obtain stock,Cheers Mick.
Stimson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Post by Stimson »

i think they have been put on the noxious weed list recently and can't be sold commercially. (i think) not sure if any nurseries sell them down here. best way is to visit in early spring with a digging implement a go dig your own stump. they survive the harshest of punishment. i have lifted many a stump with no roots and had success.

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”