Bending Bar

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Bending Bar

Post by Grant Bowie »

I was asked to post a photo of my simple bending bar. Here it is.

It is 800 mm top to toe and the bend at the end is 45mm wide so that you can use it to bend a trunk or branch up to about 40mm. The more raffia you use the less able you will be to get the hook around the branch or trunk.

You must pad or protect the bark where you place the bar! Otherwise it will probably slip and gouge out some bark.

If the branch or trunk is bigger than 45 mm you can just fix the other end of the bar to the part you want to bend and tie it on with wire, preferably copper.
Bending Bar 003.jpg
Bending Bar 004.jpg
It will basically just give you a bit more leverage on the portion you are trying to bend.

Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Re: Bending Bar

Post by aaron_tas »

hi grant :D

nice bar :!: did you make it yourself :?:
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

G'Day mate,

Hope your getting some wet weather down there. It's dry as toast here.

The bar was made by a blacksmith when I lived at Yerrinbool(near Bowral Sthn Highlands of NSW for those who are interstate). He did ornamental gates as well. I then bought some clear plastic tubing of the correct size, dropped the plastic in boiled water to expand and soften it up so that it could slip onto and around the bend of the crook of the bar.

It was modelled on a smaller version that was made almost 25 years ago. It has proved very useful over the years especially if you are working on something by yourself. You can hold it in place under your armpit when you need both your habds free.

Grant
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

G'day Grant,
The Bowie Bender™ looks like a very handy accessory for the bonsai tool box.
Can you please further explain how to control the bending? Would I be stretching the friendship to ask for a picture or 2 of it in use?
Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

Grant Bowie wrote:Hope your getting some wet weather down there. It's dry as toast here.
it's pretty toasty in this state too :!:

although i think launceston is a bit more toasty than hobart :D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

The addition of a peg where I've painted one might be even better. If the peg could be adjusted up and down the bar - better still. ;)
bending bar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

AusBonsai wrote:G'day Grant,
The Bowie Bender™ looks like a very handy accessory for the bonsai tool box.
Can you please further explain how to control the bending? Would I be stretching the friendship to ask for a picture or 2 of it in use?
Regards,
Steven
Hi Steven,

Shall do. I can't find any photos of me using it as I am usually on the operating end of it but I will do some photos and an explanation of its use.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi,Here is a brief description of the use and uses of the simple bending bar I use.
Firstly it is just a quick on and quick off accessory; no clamping, screwing etc. It just slides sideways over the branch or trunk you wish to bend and it will only bend upto around 40 to 45 mm in thickness. It will increase an existing bend easily with just the extra leverage it gives you. If you are starting from arrow straight material or reversing a bend you will need someone to hold the tree and you may need to have one hand where the bar is in contact with the tree annd the other on the end of the bar.
Bending Bar 006.jpg
As you can see it will just hang correctly under its own weight. If the area to bend is properly padded with raffia or just with a makeshift piece of rubber the bar will not slip, rotate or gouge bark out of the area. The root system must be firm under its own weight as the bar will push the tree over if the roots are wobbly(use another method) or get someone to hold the tree.
Bending Bar 009.jpg
You then just apply pressure or weight to the end of the bar and it bends very easily. You can sometimes work by yourself and still bend quickly by doing the bend then hold the bar firm under your arm pit while you tighten up guy wires or whatever. You can also hold the portion of trunk above where you are bending to steady the bar.
Bending Bar 011.jpg
Here is the tree wrapped in raffia with 8 mm aluminium wire around it before the bending took place. Fig 3 Before Restyling in Feb 2008.JPG
The actual bending was over in 60 seconds or less as the bar was just slipped onto the trunk, weight applied with someone helping hold the tree and pot and it was bent 90 degrees in the one smooth operation. You can see the foliage at 90 degrees to its original plane. Fig 4 Upper Trunk Wrapped in Raffia and Bent 90%.JPG
Of course there are big limitations to its use if the pot gets in the way or the branch is too heavy etc. You can then use plan B.
I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask any other questions or make one or get one made for yourself.
Grant
Last edited by Grant Bowie on March 16th, 2009, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G,day guys. I have been reading this with interest, I was very interested in Grants Bending Bar. Very simple but effective design with one draw back that Grant pointed out, bigger branches or trunk you need two people.
With mine you need two bars equally simple to make or get made,. Then you can do it on your own, now fellas. here they are.
P1020781.JPG
P1020782.JPG
P1020783.JPG
P1020784.JPG
These are used in a similar way to Grants slip on slip of. Where you want the bend you place the longest bar the put the small one in position and Bend.
Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi Pup,

When you can you should show it in use and post the photos.

Grant
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Thanks Grant for the excellent demo! That Juniper sure looks better after a session with The Bowie Bender™.

Pup, yours look good too and I would also like to see them in action if you don't mind. I think my dentist has a couple of tools that look like those :o

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Bending bar 2

Post by Pup »

It appears when I tried to upload the pictures of these bars I use as Grant. Asked me too they wont upload so, I thought a new post might work.

The material being used is a air layered branch of a Shimpaku. It is 2cm 20mms ( 3/4 inch ) plus wire and furniture webbing in stead of raffia.
P1020304.JPG
P1020309.JPG
P1020786.JPG
P1020787.JPG
P1020788.JPG
P1020789.JPG
These bending bar's will allow up to 4cm 4 mms ( 1-1/2 inches on your own if the pot is firm ) and of course if you are a big strong person.
After that we use winding jacks. :D Pup

Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Re: Bending bar 2

Post by Pup »

I forgot to show you a pic of the tree in question as it is now. After some tweaking and a few years it should be a passable tree.
P1020790.JPG
P1020791.JPG
P1020793.JPG
P1020795.JPG
As you can see a large bend was in order. No strain to me just tie the pot to the bench. Very firmly

Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi Pup,

The two bars working together works well and you can do without a second person most of the time. I usually get Don from Hay to do all the hard work like raffia and wiring and then just do the bend and take all the glory.

Anyhow you got some good movement in the trunk which is very important to the rest of the life of the tree as a bonsai.

Grant
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Re: Bending Bar Bonsai Focus

Post by Pup »

The current issue of Bonsai Focus 120 Pages 22--27 have an article called. Bend it. It features the various methods of bending, using bending aids.
It has the bending bar I use, plus it has the purpose made screw jack. It also shows how theyare used. Plus other methods used for bending larger branches and trunks. Pup :)

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”