Carving Question

Share your success stories about defoliation, bare rooting and anything else relating to maintaining healthy bonsai.
KENHATESPRIVETS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 2

Carving Question

Post by KENHATESPRIVETS »

Hi All,

Just discovered this forum at the right time in my quest to find out information on carving my Elm. My main question pertains to whether or not it's the right time of year to perform such a task because the other tree's I've done this on have never sat high up in my care factor zone. :)

Secondly, can I get some feedback on my proposed cut if feedback suggests it is ok to carve?

Here is a front and top view of my tree highlighting thr area's I wish to carve and the cut I wish to hide.

Appreciate any insight peopel can offer on my topic and I look forward to contributing where possible in the future.

Cheers!

p.s ohh and I'm stoked we have an Aussie based Bonsai forum!!! :D

alfaphilly (banned)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea,maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: bonsai school north rocks

Re: Carving Question

Post by alfaphilly (banned) »

I dislike privets to
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

i like privets, and i like your elm, i also like the idea of carving at the top of your tree...

but, not so much at the bottom.

i do like uro's(holes) on deciduous trees' trunk's, but i've found that with deadwood that sits on or under ground level, that it's hard to stop the rot.

:D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

I personally would thin out branches (selecting only those that are needed), re do the ramification and grow the top chop out.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Welcome to the forum. I just bought a privit a month or so ago. I can't say it has upset me yet :|

Is this a current pic. It would be a little out of wack to be budding out at the moment.

In any event if you are creating dead wood I would think that it would be best in the growing season. But if the tree is healthy and is not out of wack with the season(as the pic seems to suggest it is) I might not be patient enough to wait till then. There could be more chance of losing a branch at the moment if you do too mch damage or even some dieback on the trunk.
This is an intresting tree with some design challenges. I think sometimes they make the most intresting trees I like the idea of the proposed carving to see if it can be improved. I can pick out a few branches that could be removed and a couple shaped.
I will do a mud map virt if you are intrested.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

This may be what I would try. I have changed the bottom direction of the carving to go behind the trunk crossing branch. I agree somewhat with Arron about the carving down the bottom but have only minimised the carving as I think it is needed to balance the top carving.
The trunk crossing branch is lowerd down to fill the empty space. I think you could get away with this angle and trunk crossing as it has a very craged theme to it. I would be thinking of branches to replace this one in the future in case I did not like it. Some of the upward growth is taken away from the branch on the oposit side. Prune or remove branches as indicated in red. I would think there are more that can be removed from the apex but those are the ones I think that I can see.
Then enchorage lower branch growth by plenty of trimming in the crown.
I would wait to do most of this work in early spring at repot time. You have plenty of time to come up with a plan :D
carve1.jpg
Edit: I would take more than I have indicated of the crown as it will grow back fairly quickly and in plenty of time for the rest of the tree to catch up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on March 28th, 2009, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

I don't know about keeping a branch that crosses the trunk.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I say only when it interupts flow as this is the reason for no crossing branches. I would like to try it but it is only one option if I wanted to try and stay with the current essence of the tree.
KENHATESPRIVETS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by KENHATESPRIVETS »

thanks for the food for thought guys - will ceertainly come into play in spring when I tackle the cut! :)

p.s I don't really hate privets, it's just a fitting name for some friendly banta between some friends at the moment.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Hi Ken,
How are your Azaleas looking? Are they blooming yet?
Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai

Return to “Tips, Techniques, Maintenance and Advice”