Brachychiton rupestris grotesqueii

Acerifolius, Populneus, Rupestris etc

Brachychiton rupestris grotesqueii

Postby melbrackstone » September 19th, 2017, 11:32 am

I bought this as tubestock in 1991. It's been ignored and left to its own devices over the years with one or two trunk chops and a bit of tie wire. A year ago I started to feed it again, and 3 months ago I potted it into this Marie Hewartson round pot.

Thoughts please? (I'm tough, I can take it.)

bottletreea1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Willow leaf fig
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Qld

Re: Brachychiton rupestris grotesqueii

Postby GavinG » September 19th, 2017, 3:52 pm

I like it. The airy foliage and the gnarly base is echoed by the airy accent leaves, on it's own over-sized base.

If it were mine, I'd have a look at tilting it a little bit more vertical. At the moment the top is too light to balance the pot and roots when it's way out the side - if it was a little more upright (not a lot) it might tie them in together just enough.

Just my 2c. It's a strong composition as it is.

Gavin
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age:
Bonsai Club: CBS

Postby melbrackstone » September 19th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Thanks Gavin, I'll look at lifting it a bit next repot! The top certainly is much lighter, and I can't seem to get the leaves to stay small, so it's a little bit of an experiment in what I can do with it.

Of course my next test will be finding stands that work with the both of them...I just put this together today to see if they might compliment each other. Been told that both stands are over the top, lol!

Hubby is going to get his woodworking tools slaving away on some "proper" stands for me. :)
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Postby boom64 » September 19th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Hi Mel ,Love the trunk and those fantastic roots. Pot is spot on. Maybe a little bit of movement in the bottom branch. Cool Tree .Cheers John
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Postby melbrackstone » September 19th, 2017, 7:05 pm

Thanks John, it's a little "Loch Ness-ish" with those roots, so the plant doesn't sit in the right position, but definitely eye-catchingly grotesque when seen in the flesh.

I suspect I'll be able to separate and add movement to that bottom branch fairly easily, and once it's sitting up a little more should look a little better. (fingers crossed!)

This weekend I'm taking it to our club's exhibition, that way I get a taste of what it's all about, and hopefully will get some more experience on preparations necessary for a show.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Return to Brachychiton