MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Nsw Xmas bush

Post by MattA »

I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the nsw xmas bush Ceratopetalum. I dug one from a garden last august & while it hasnt died it also hasnt grown. It has reshot in a few places but with minimal extension. It will eventually be a bungin but at this rate its a long way from anything.
RIMG0088.JPG
From base to tip approx 105cm long & approx 8cm across the nebari. I need to remove a major root from the left side to get it up into this position, but it needs to regain strength & vigour before starting any work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
pasquale
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Nsw Xmas bush

Post by pasquale »

Mate, my experience is limited and doesn't extend to pot culture. In the garden they can be pruned heavily but can take ages to reshoot. I remember one from when I was a kid that got a trunk chop and then the stump just sat there until suddenly it began to shoot- seemed like years later, in retrospect it may have only been one year. The Koreshoffs in their book say "Never cut back to hard bare wood. Very slow to shoot on old wood. If reduction is necessary leave one or two pairs of leaves, fertilize well and hope".

By the way, the Koreshoff's also say about eucs..."UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES (their capitals) should the roots, trunk or lignotuber be planted deeper than the original level of the soil, otherwise the tree will surely die." Hence my questions to you on the eucalyptus thread. I never believe everything I read, even if it is in capitals and written by royalty.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

I also have Koreshoffs book, took the advice & kept a few bits of foliage in the xmas bush. Noticed when i was putting it back in the garden that its startin to put out more new buds up & down the trunk so maybe its turned its corner. Was waiting for it to make some growth before giving it any feed but i might "fertilize well and hope"

As for burying eucys deeper than orig soil level, 1/ i have found it works, tho they dont remain permanently so, approx 3-4mths (determined by regrowth) and then its back into daylight. 2/ I have a m8 who used to work for a wholesale nursery, it was there regular pratice when potting tubestock into 45ltr bags to bury them deeper than in the tube. I guess as with most things what works for one may not work for another.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
strawbs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of sydney

Post by strawbs »

hi brogus, i chopped one back from a bout a 10 foot tree to a 30 cm stump,in early november, to fit in my new bonsai shade area,
it layed dorment till early january, and now has shoots up to 3 feet high, i thought it was gone and was going to get rid of it
but now im thinking something different. :D
hope this helps.
strawbs
You can't have order without chaos.
Marisios
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Marisios
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Marisios

Post by Marisios »

This article is very good. I like to read a lot.

Return to “Ceratopetalum Gummiferum”