My Precious (Euc 2)

Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 12

My Precious (Euc 2)

Post by Trent McKenzie »

The pride of my collection, in training for over 10 years. This tree has been so pleasing to work with and now has its most healthy and vigorous growth that I have seen.
Trent.

"mystery in trees takes you back to your childhood when you explored more than analysed" Dorothy Koreshoff
Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: My Precious (Euc 2)

Post by Trent McKenzie »

:bump:
Trent.

"mystery in trees takes you back to your childhood when you explored more than analysed" Dorothy Koreshoff
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I have one going too Trent, but i find developing a canopy frustrating. It is difficult to develop them as you see them from a distance with their magnificent cloud foliage. I know, i look at them every day. :palm:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

Hi Trent,

This one has a nice look of age about it. How often do you re pot your Eucalypts.

Regards,

Peter
Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trent McKenzie »

Thanks Peter, It really does tell a story.
PeterH wrote:Hi Trent,

This one has a nice look of age about it. How often do you re pot your Eucalypts.

Regards,

Peter
I repot every year, when I was more of a novice it was at spring time, but now I find better results repotting Eucs in Autumn.
Trent.

PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterH »

Thanks for that Trent,

Very different to me but I have different varieties and live in a much colder area.

Regards,

Peter
Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trent McKenzie »

Oh, sound like you have some inside secrets to share Peter, do go on...
I have heard that middle of summer is the best time for repot on Eucs and most natives, but I am always reluctant to do so given the amount of days over 40c we have here.
Trent.

PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterH »

Hi Trent,

No secrets but a different climate. I re pot Eucs from about mid November through to mid January and only every 2 to 3 growing seasons. Usually when temps are between 25degC and 30degC. I avoid re potting Autumn or early spring. I have found early spring, as we come out of winter, the growth is slow and takes some time to recover roots and foliage.
Autumn does not give them enough time to establish a strong root system and a good foliage cover and can stress the tree. When I have done this the leaves go purple over winter which is a sign of sap withdrawal and sometimes death.
Most people are of the opinion that it is best to re pot when the tree is dormient. I have found the opposite to be true.
Also I have noticed, if I take note of the flowering of the natural tree in the ground I try and do my re potting after this flowering. Another stage of the Euc is the bark peel. I avoid re potting or punning while the tree is going through this stage.
All my trees are in full sun. I have had periods when they have been on show for extended period (Part shade) and have suffered as a result.
These are things I have noticed and do in my climate and with the different varieties of Euc. As you are in a different climate they will be different.

Temp in my area vary from -8degC to +40degC.

Regards,

Peter
Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trent McKenzie »

Trent.

Return to “Eucalyptus”