Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 12

Preparing for a dig

Post by Trent McKenzie »

Hi all,

I will soon have the best opportunity to dig a great number of River Red Gum saplings from the bottom of a channel being de-comitioned and filled over. I would normally do this during winter, is this the best time or is earlier better?

Cutting the tap root as high as i feel comfortable, reducing the limbs to the trunk and taking dirt from the dig site to mix 50/50 when potting has resulted in a 20% success rate in the past.

Does anybody have any advice on how best to improve my chances of saving as many trees as possible, any advice please?
Last edited by Trent McKenzie on March 24th, 2012, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trent.

"mystery in trees takes you back to your childhood when you explored more than analysed" Dorothy Koreshoff
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Preparing for a dig

Post by alpineart »

Hi Trent , i have had good success collecting them in Summer /Autumn and transferring them into straight river sand and sat in a wet bet or water tray in a shade house . Mind you i rip them out without any care and the die back is minimal , then they re-shoot .A little care will go a long way for sure .

Cheers Alpineart
Trent McKenzie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Trent McKenzie »

Thanks for tip apline, need to get my butt in gear then.
Trent.

"mystery in trees takes you back to your childhood when you explored more than analysed" Dorothy Koreshoff
Tony H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata Pine
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by Tony H »

Yep I have to agree, tear them mothers out! I usually plant in a mix of kitty litter, river sand and perlite. You can put a little lifter in the mix as well. Flood the por for a fortnight and water heavy for a month. I found a real beauty today growing out of a rock slab. I'm going back tomorrow with a crow bar.... If I can't break the rock around it I'm going to just pry it out. Using the above the techniques it will be fine :cool: ill post pics of the aftermath tomorrow 8-)
Your karma ran over my dogma
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

ViBeS wrote:Yep I have to agree, tear them mothers out! I usually plant in a mix of kitty litter, river sand and perlite. You can put a little lifter in the mix as well. Flood the por for a fortnight and water heavy for a month. I found a real beauty today growing out of a rock slab. I'm going back tomorrow with a crow bar.... If I can't break the rock around it I'm going to just pry it out. Using the above the techniques it will be fine :cool: ill post pics of the aftermath tomorrow 8-)
How you go digging this one out ViBes?? Any photos.

Josh
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

ViBeS wrote:Yep I have to agree, tear them mothers out! I usually plant in a mix of kitty litter, river sand and perlite. You can put a little lifter in the mix as well. Flood the por for a fortnight and water heavy for a month. I found a real beauty today growing out of a rock slab. I'm going back tomorrow with a crow bar.... If I can't break the rock around it I'm going to just pry it out. Using the above the techniques it will be fine :cool: ill post pics of the aftermath tomorrow 8-)
:bump: :bump:

Return to “Eucalyptus”