Eucalyptus rubida 'The Deer Stick '

Re: Eucalyptus rubida 'The Deer Stick '

Postby hugh grant » December 8th, 2017, 9:56 am

Sno wrote:Hi Kevin . My updated thoughts on the dead wood ? Long term (20 years ;) ) it's got to go . At this stage the story of its origin adds interest.

Sno
I'd love to hear your elaborated thoughts on this, why must the the deadwood go at some point ?
Hugh Grant. Design

email: Hugh@Hughgrantdesign.com
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hugh.grant.501
Instagram: Hughgrant.design
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Melaleuca, Juniper, Ligustrum
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Society, Vic Native Bonsai Club

Postby Sno » December 8th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Hi Hugh . I've not been sure about keeping the deadwood , to my eye it's a bit to heavy and it dominates a bit .for me the trunk is more interesting ,Watto is correct when he implies my photography is not up to standard ;) .The base is quite powerful on its own . I've brought the trunk line back over the base and the dead wood leans out a bit which to me is a bit confusing to the eye . I'm hoping to lessen this by growing the foliage around it . It may need some carving to make it more natural looking kind of more like an old trunk rather than what it does now . I'm not in a rush to cut it off because it's hard to glue it back on .

' Treeman wrote
So where are they all?

They are coming . I've seen some great looking trees from people around Canberra . Most are in the development stage . We have seen the pioneers like Peter so we know it can be done and now comes the next wave .
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Postby Boics » December 8th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Where are they all?

Well I actually saw a bunch of really interesting Eucalyptus tree's on the link you posted Mike!
Thanks for sharing!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster.
Bonsai Age: 5

Postby Sno » February 16th, 2018, 3:50 pm

A little update on my endeavors to turn a stump into a bonsai . Well it settled into its new home for now quite well and was pushing good growth . A month ago I wired the main branches using aluminum wire threaded through plastic tubing to minimize wire scar . Two weeks ago I cut back all the new shoots . Today I removed the wire because it has started to bud up everywhere as Eucs do . I've been heavy feeding the area where the new root shot .
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Previous

Return to Eucalyptus