Eucalyptus rubida 'The Deer Stick '

Re: Eucalyptus rubida 'The Deer Stick '

Postby hugh grant » December 8th, 2017, 9:56 am

Sno wrote:Hi Kevin . My updated thoughts on the dead wood ? Long term (20 years ;) ) it's got to go . At this stage the story of its origin adds interest.

Sno
I'd love to hear your elaborated thoughts on this, why must the the deadwood go at some point ?
Tree Makers
www.treemakers.net
Bonsai - Education - Native Yamadori for sale

email: Hughgrant@treemakers.net
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Hughgrantdesign/
Instagram: @treemakers_hughgrantdesign
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Australian native
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Society, Vic Native Bonsai Club

Postby Sno » December 8th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Hi Hugh . I've not been sure about keeping the deadwood , to my eye it's a bit to heavy and it dominates a bit .for me the trunk is more interesting ,Watto is correct when he implies my photography is not up to standard ;) .The base is quite powerful on its own . I've brought the trunk line back over the base and the dead wood leans out a bit which to me is a bit confusing to the eye . I'm hoping to lessen this by growing the foliage around it . It may need some carving to make it more natural looking kind of more like an old trunk rather than what it does now . I'm not in a rush to cut it off because it's hard to glue it back on .

' Treeman wrote
So where are they all?

They are coming . I've seen some great looking trees from people around Canberra . Most are in the development stage . We have seen the pioneers like Peter so we know it can be done and now comes the next wave .
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Postby Boics » December 8th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Where are they all?

Well I actually saw a bunch of really interesting Eucalyptus tree's on the link you posted Mike!
Thanks for sharing!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Postby Sno » February 16th, 2018, 3:50 pm

A little update on my endeavors to turn a stump into a bonsai . Well it settled into its new home for now quite well and was pushing good growth . A month ago I wired the main branches using aluminum wire threaded through plastic tubing to minimize wire scar . Two weeks ago I cut back all the new shoots . Today I removed the wire because it has started to bud up everywhere as Eucs do . I've been heavy feeding the area where the new root shot .
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Postby Sno » April 21st, 2019, 2:36 pm

It's been a busy year for me this year so I haven't done much bonsai wise . I think it's paid off .
This tree wasn't repotted and besides one quick trim around February has been left do its own thing . Water, sunshine and the odd feed .
The trunk above the 'stick' has thickened and there is a fair bit more ramification happening . It needs a haircut but that can wait till spring . Today I moved it to its winter home where it gets more sun and pruned off the odd bit that was going nowhere . I need to find a more appropriate size pot for it before the next repot but it will depend on what's happened to the roots whether it gos into a smaller pot .
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age:

Postby MJL » April 21st, 2019, 4:32 pm

Happy Easter Sno-day! A couple of ripping posts today. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

I have never seen this thread before and after a few hrs in the garden, it’s been enjoyable to neck a beer and very interesting to read the thread from the beginning. I am still smiling at R3’s comment about the Beer can at the start.

I reckon this is a really intriguing progression and I love the historical context... the deer story.

Regarding the deadwood - right up until the end I thought “keep the deadwood” .... it reminded me of some of John’s (boom64’s) good work with a rugged big ol’ Jin on some natives ... but I reckon here - it overpowers the living tree - unless the living tree is destined to become much bigger.

So, this amateur is now in the remove camp - I may be alone in that camp! If the tree was to remain around this size - perhaps the deadwood can be broken and hollowed - so that in some way the history of the tree is maintained - there’s still a reference to the past but time and the elements have withered the deadwood so that it looks more like a bird nest or perch - perhaps like in the photo below.
IMG_0412.jpg

Cheers for the post Craig, a ripper.

I look forward to watching it progress.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Maples, Elms & Shimpaku Juniper
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Postby boom64 » April 21st, 2019, 8:30 pm

Hi Craig ,
Good year of growth ,the no hands approach has certainly paid of. Watching this one for future inspiration. Cheers John.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Postby Boics » April 21st, 2019, 9:01 pm

What does Grant call it?
Masterful inactivity or something?

Looking good, I'm in the "reduce" camp but there is no rush.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Previous

Return to Eucalyptus