Eucalyptus 1 growing wild from Hugh Grant

Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Eucalyptus 1 growing wild from Hugh Grant

Post by Rory »

This is a wild Euclayptus specimen that was dug by Hugh Grant in October 2016 (thanks to Hugh for letting me buy it off him)

Definitely a fantastic base to start with. I'll look forward to updating its progress every year.
In the year that I've maintained it, it initially died back a little to the V fork up the top. I would simply attribute this to settling in after it was dug.

It has since thrived and put on a tonne of growth. It responds very well to regular pruning and will be a great tree in many years to come.
It has so far proven impervious to myrtle rust and pests. Its leaf size also doesn't get too big. :cool: No idea of the species but I would love to grow more of them. The twig in the pot are simply propping up a few of the new shoots to grow upwards for new leaders from the V fork.

Its hard to make out from this pic, but it twists around in a gentle angle like those big iron bark trees you see in the wild. :tu2:

Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
si90
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Eucalyptus 1 growing wild from Hugh Grant

Post by si90 »

Rory wrote:This is a wild Euclayptus specimen that was dug by Hugh Grant in October 2016 (thanks to Hugh for letting me buy it off him)

Definitely a fantastic base to start with. I'll look forward to updating its progress every year.
In the year that I've maintained it, it initially died back a little to the V fork up the top. I would simply attribute this to settling in after it was dug.

It has since thrived and put on a tonne of growth. It responds very well to regular pruning and will be a great tree in many years to come.
It has so far proven impervious to myrtle rust and pests. Its leaf size also doesn't get too big. :cool: No idea of the species but I would love to grow more of them. The twig in the pot are simply propping up a few of the new shoots to grow upwards for new leaders from the V fork.

Its hard to make out from this pic, but it twists around in a gentle angle like those big iron bark trees you see in the wild. :tu2:

Hi Rory,

What a great trunk! It's hard to say from the image but if those leave are opposite it may be an Angophora floribunda. I have a few of these growing in pots and they look pretty similar to me.

Cheers

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Yeah that's a good point. I didn't think to check that. It might be. Next time I'm up there I'll take a closer look.

Yes, the trunk is a cracker. I fell in love with it when I saw it. Had to have it. I was like Fry from Futurama: Shutup and take my money!!!
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Great Material Rory ,fun times ahead. Looking forward to future updates.....Cheers John.

Return to “Eucalyptus”