Eucalyptus curtisii

Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Eucalyptus curtisii

Post by Rory »

Eucalyptus curtisii is one of the greatest choices of native material for bonsai.

It tolerates all sun/shade conditions. But it grows very slowly in strong shade.
It is very hardy, and isn't badly affected by myrtle rust.
It is an excellent choice for all stages of enthusiasts. It shoots back right along the trunk after a trunk chop. It's leaves reduce very well if you occasionally keep up the pruning.
It is the equivalent replacement of a Japanese maple for Australia in my opinion. The new leaves stay. Eautifukly red/pink for quite a few weeks. The new shoots stat red for months.
It tolerates drought and over watering very well. It grows fast or slow depending on the levels of sun.
It produces a naturally gnarly trunk over time, and continuously produces new shoots all over.
You can cut back the roots heavily and it will recover, usually with serious gusto.

I think of all the eucalyptus I have tried, this one is certainly one of the greatest all rounders.
The only species better, would probably be the naturally smaller leaf varieties, but I find they aren't has hardy as the larger leaf varieties. Eucalyptus crebra would probably be on par with curtisii.

Some photos of E. curtisii :
IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3236.JPG
IMG_3238.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Re: Eucalyptus curtisii

Post by Jarad »

Great start you've got there Rory! How long have you been growing those little guys.

Is this species prone to dropping branches/dieback like some of our other natives?
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I'm glad to read this Rory, @Redsonic alerted me to this euc last year, when I bought one for her at a Native Plant market, and I've since bought some tube stock to be going on with.

Looking forward to seeing how yours go.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

A good-looking Euc.- is it frost-tender? We've just had the nastiest winter I've seen in 7 years.

Gavin
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Apparently not. A quote from the Australian National Botanic Gardens website
Myrtaceae, the family to which Eucalypts belong, is a group of very attractive, adaptable and hardy plants suitable for cultivation in a wide range of situations. E. curtisii has proved to be frost resistant and easily cultivated in the Canberra climate.
And the website

https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp5/euc-curt.html

You should have acces to seed too Gavin.
Last edited by dansai on August 25th, 2017, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

dansai wrote:Apparently not. A quote from the Australian National Botanic Gardens website
Myrtaceae, the family to which Eucalypts belong, is a group of very attractive, adaptable and hardy plants suitable for cultivation in a wide range of situations. E. curtisii has proved to be frost resistant and easily cultivated in the Canberra climate.
And the website

https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp5/euc-curt.html

You should have acces to seed too Gavin.
Your a legend dansai.... :beer:
melbrackstone wrote:I'm glad to read this Rory, @Redsonic alerted me to this euc last year, when I bought one for her at a Native Plant market, and I've since bought some tube stock to be going on with.

Looking forward to seeing how yours go.
Ive only been growing these for a few years now, so about 10-15 more years to go before they look any good in my opinion. But I am tempted to try one as shohin.
:D
Jarad wrote:Great start you've got there Rory! How long have you been growing those little guys.

Is this species prone to dropping branches/dieback like some of our other natives?
Well.... I guess I'll let you know in time. This would be no different to exotics, with their die-back though.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

Any chance Rory you showing us some of your Eucalyptus in Bonsai form/pot...nice that you promote Aussie natives but seeing is what people want to see before committing especially me.

I have started a baby one but direction is what I m looking for,maybe a sequence of progressions, would be appreciated....thanks

Anthony
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

anthonyW wrote:Any chance Rory you showing us some of your Eucalyptus in Bonsai form/pot...nice that you promote Aussie natives but seeing is what people want to see before committing especially me.

I have started a baby one but direction is what I m looking for,maybe a sequence of progressions, would be appreciated....thanks

Anthony
Hello Anthony,

I'm so sorry mate, I wish I could.
But I've only been serisously growing eucalyptus for about 4-5 years now. I had some reasonable material a long time ago but they died when I was on a balcony and were left without water over a bad summer.
I don't have any worth showing.

In about 5-10 years I should have some pretty good natural-styled material to display.

In the mean time take a look at some of the trees by Peterh. He has a beautiful eucalyptus nicholii I think it was.

Or take a look at the Canberra bonsai society annual bonsai shows. Just google it and you can browse some beautiful specimens there.

All the eucalyptus I'm growing are a delight to work with, and I'd highly recommend them over all exotics, any day.
Just don't bother with the species that have really large leaves. You can't maintain good proportions on them.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Thanks for the reply Rory...sorry to hear about your potential beauties,very good that your still persisting with these/other species,like your passion...hey hey whew back on the exotics lol ....but they don t come even close to my figs and pines/exotics and other guys exotics :2c: ,sorry about that chief..but you got start some where and your enthusiasm is great and documentation of growing habit is vital if people are to try and help you promote.. well done.

Yes Peter and Mr Fletcher from Tasmania have a few that certainly jump out of the box...very,very nice.

cheers Anthony
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

He you go Rory,maybe you can help me identify this species,
Took this from a flat rock where I was working,it was growing on a flat rock in a slight crease(no fissure to secure it,obvious picking up silt and extra water due to position)in a palm full of very damp moss,there was alot of heavy rain on off over a month in late Autumn...amazing,I don t believe it would have survived summer...anyway lets learn.

Had about 4 leaves one stem,hardly worth it,but it hung in there over winter and here is today.

I have noted it does grow back on bare wood after it has hardened off after chopping...I think best to nip every other terminal so energy does not miss the desired area(like a fig)...good start.

Leaves are not too bad a size when matured off..very handy..I believe would suit a good medium size tree up for that leaf.

Do not let it remotely dry out,it drops its leaves from shock.then we know whats happens then.,if we completely miss the ball..phew..mix is all organic with moss and a coat of scoria to hold moisture

Now testing it when the new leaf/bud starts to form bit like a maple if you like for tighter internodes.

So many questions to ask..but we will have a go..hope you don t mind me posting here...as for design another day nothing to use yet ...cheers
phpbYS2jQPM (1).jpg
Hmm..must be crazy..oh dear.
phpUUZifBPM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by anthonyW on August 26th, 2017, 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Hello Anthony,

You may have a little Angophora costata, a bit hard to see the leaf structure from here, it does appear to have some leaves which are emerging as opposites from the main stem.
It's only a guess, it's only a little tree and there are so many species to chose from.
The rock you mentioned where you located the tree - was it Sandstone?

Edit: Just adding this link FYI:

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-b ... ra~costata

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on August 26th, 2017, 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Hi Anthony,

You'll be fishing the dark for identification. I have many eucalyptus and angophora that I have no idea what they are.
I wouldn't worry about an ID unless in ten years it becomes something worthwhile knowing.
Generally most eucalypts can be grown with the same techniques.
If you're wanting a bigger trunk though, I'd get it out of that little bonsai pot and into a big growing container though.

All eucalyptus hate to be 'constantly' pruned. They can suffer die back as a result.
They should be repotted safely anywhere from about October though to march.

On your tiny specimen there you probably won't see the full mature leaves until it's allowed to fro uncut for a few seasons. (If you're interested that is)
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Thanks dansai. I may have access to seeds, but not the aptitude. And, increasingly clearly, not enough time.

Gavin
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Yes it was on a sandstone boulder and lots of sandstone in the area,thanks for the ID Kevin appreciate mate.

Thanks for the info Rory look forward to your updates with the species...cheers guys

Anthony
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

Thanks for starting this post, and the information on E. curtisii Rory. As Melbrackstone said, I "discovered" this tree earlier this year when I was walking the dog and found a beautiful small euc with lovely bark growing in a park in a suburb I rarely visit. It was a multi-trunk tree, which is apparently one of the ways they can grow. Otherwise known as a Plunkett Mallee, their natural range is restricted to the Brisbane area. I collected seed from the tree at the time, but didn't have any luck with germination. I plan to go back this summer and grab some fresher seed and try again. In the meantime, I have one seedling that Melbrackstone found for me and have been reassured by your post that it may make a good bonsai one day.

Return to “Eucalyptus”