Euc tricarpa Red ironbark

Milo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: banksia, Casuarina, Melaleuca, Euc
Bonsai Age: 20

Euc tricarpa Red ironbark

Post by Milo »

Just did a wild Flower walk through the Ironbark forest at Rushworth Vic , was not interested in the wild flowers but found the the contrast between the black bark of the Iron Bark trunks and the Golden wattle amazing.
As You walk through the forest 99.9 % are standing bolt upright as most trees do when planted in parks and roadsides But it's the 0.1 % that we should be looking at for bonsai inspiration.
Iron Bark 2.jpg
Iron Bark 1.jpg
Birds nest.jpg
The ironbark trees in the goldfields area and most of Vic of Vic have been renamed Euc tricarpa from Euc sideroxylon which main habitat is NSW

Len Costermans 6th Edition 2014 (trees of Victoria and adjoining areas )

My Red ironbark from a goldfields nursery has finally made it into a bonsai pot but needs another 5 yrs or so

Have some photos from the start and will post more when I work out how to move them around

I wonder how long it takes for the fissured black bark to appear
1 Nov2014.jpg
2 Apr2015b.jpg
8 Nov 16.jpg
Over the 2 year period raked out the roots half the pot at a time replacing with good quality Bonsai soil. then into the colander in spring 2016 and a trim.

Not sure where the magpie is

Milo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Re: Euc tricarpa Red ironbark

Post by Raging Bull »

Looks nice Milo. :tu2: It's inspired me into trying with one of the local ironbarks we have here in S.E. Qld.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Euc tricarpa Red ironbark

Post by shibui »

The Ironbark desert is one of my favourite habitats. I've spent many days in that area between Rushworth and Whroo panning for gold or looking at the botanical wonders, the gold mining history and the occasional remnant of the first peoples.

Now Chiltern Box-Ironbark forest is closer and has very similar attributes. A great habitat with very interesting plant species.
Thanks for the heads up on the change of bot name. I was not aware of it.
I'll watch with interest to see what you can do with the ironbarks as bonsai.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Eucalyptus”