Shoey91
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 1

Red gum

Post by Shoey91 »

20171105_094141-1038x1541.jpg
I grew this red gum from seed last spring. It has been in the ground in a collander for the last 9 months and i just recently dug it up to see how well it would respond. After any help or advice on how to keep this little fella going.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Red gum

Post by shibui »

They grow very quickly as you have already found out.
A bit prone to parts of the trunk dying after pruning but always plenty of new shoots to replace what has died.
I have not worked out how to manage these to get good ramification though.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shoey91
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shoey91 »

I've noticed some of the leaves lose colour and drop off since, but there is still plenty of flex in the branches so I'm assuming it isn't fried. Is this normal after digging up eucalyptus?
dennismc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives, JBP, Cfrepe Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 40
Bonsai Club: Teacher, School of Bonsai

Post by dennismc »

Hi Shoey91

Nice starter material. Just a tip from about 30 years of growing gum trees. Not unusual for a gum tree to react adversely to root interference.

Strange as it may seem for an Ozzie tree, gum trees roots need to remain wet for about 3 weeks after re potting. Then back to normal watering and your tree will fire away.

Dennis Mc
Shoey91
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shoey91 »

3 weeks to the day i dug this up and it has put out a cluster of buds. You must be a wizard dennis :worship:. Haha
It seems to be budding up from the junctions in the top and around the base. I was considering cutting the crown back to where it seems to be budding up and training some new branches.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Shoey91 wrote: It seems to be budding up from the junctions in the top and around the base. I was considering cutting the crown back to where it seems to be budding up and training some new branches.
I wouldn’t. Multiple-pruning any gum within a month or so can potentially = die back.
And occasionally in the worse case scenario, it can die back to the new shoots at the base. Though not common.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Shoey91
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shoey91 »

I was going to give it a chance to grow on a little first before attacking it again. This being my first native bonsai (definately not my last) i have just been treading carefully as i have heard eucalyptus can be sensitive to root pruning and being dug up.

Is wiring necessary with eucys? i seem to have gotten to a shape so far i am happy with by pruning.
Shoey91
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shoey91 »

A few progession shots from surge of new shoots. Not the greatest photos, had trouble with lighting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

Hi Shoey I have a river red that i planted on a large tile, just over a year ago, in the ground. It was tube stock. It got to about 2.5m in the year and the trunk is 60mm. I chopped it back to 250mm on an angle at spring and got shoots at the top and bottom of the chop, plus shoots galore, especially at the base, which were removed. I'm going to let the leaders grow this year which will hopefully heal the scar because of the 2 shoots growing at the chop. I'll wire the shoots (branches) on the trunk loosely to get movement, but only to the 2nd set of leaves because this is where i'll cut back to and only let 2 shoots sprout ( either 2 side shoots or a vertical and side shoot) the vertical shoot i'll only let grow to about 300 odd mm before i tip it, let it grow then cut back to the first leaf growing out the direction i want. Watch the vertical shoots, they'll dominate. I'm thinking that within 2/3 years i'll have something resemble a bonsai. I'm not sure when i should spade the roots tho,maybe this time next year or this? what do you reckon? I'll take some pictures if you like, if the sun ever comes back out :fc:
Shoey91
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Shoey91 »

I am relatively new to bonsai but from what i understand spring is the perfect time to work on native roots. I have a couple banksias and melaleuca seedlings in the ground that are thriving on all the sunshine and rain we are getting at the moment.

I had my red gum growing in a colander in the ground for the first year and even after i dug it up to repot the root ball wasn't overly untidy so i barely touched it anyway.

Return to “Eucalyptus”