Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Eucalyptus, again

Post by GavinG »

Eggs are airborne...

You do want a separate trunk-growing phase. Really. The trunk is the core, the heart, the centre of gravity of the tree. It doesn't matter what you've done to the branches and leaves if there's nothing at the heart of it. My opinion only. For sure, grow, pinch and go crazy with whatever you want, but a tree that will live with you a long time needs a solid centre.

So for mine, grow long, cut back once in a season, and add some dynamic interest to your tree with every angle you create. Root prune when you hack. If you pinch a thin tree frequently it will stay thin, pretty much. It won't "thicken slowly and naturally" any time soon.

You only prune roots when you need to - some folk repot wisteria or willows for instance twice a year because they choke themselves if they don't. Natives probably won't choke, so no need to prune roots more than once a year.

If you grow your seedlings maybe a metre or two tall in a season, they will thicken quickly, and your shapes will be interesting with all the angular cuts. With a bit of luck. That exploits the speed of growth.

Give both ways a try, and see how things work.

And have fun! Eggs landed, with oil and a bit of balsamic.

Gavin
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Eucalyptus, again

Post by MJL »

Thanks Gavin. Good eggs! Thanks and I understand the logic. Cheers for taking the time to cook the egg. It landed well.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Eucalyptus”