Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Corymbia citriodora 2

Post by Rory »

Corymbia citriodora 2

I Purchased this seedling from Cumberland State Forest Nursery at Castle Hill (now Plants Plus). I have since acquired a lot more due to my infatuation with them.

This is firmly in the 'trunk development' stage. If they are allowed to extend, Euc branches can thicken quickly so there is no rush on branch development yet, and this species shoots back freely all over. It was purchased and grown in strong shade initially. This explains the slow build up of its trunk over many years. By memory I think it was about 2015/2016 that it was given good sun levels.

The leaves reduce very well, and smell absolutely beautiful. It has the most aromatic foliage I've ever smelt in my life, (you can smell the juvenile leaves from a metre away). It has been described as the most beautiful of all the Eucalypts.

This photo was taken 29.10.2013

This photo was taken 03.05.2015

This photo was taken 19.08.2016

This photo was taken 20.09.2017

This photo was taken 01.05.2018

The trunk will be cut about half way up the trunk for the next chop. I prefer not to cut back a euc trunk until its growing strong because of the potential for die-back if performed before or during the colder slow-growth periods.
I am proposing a triple trunk for this one, using the 2 thinner trunks.

This tree has a long, long way to go, and in many years I'll have enough development to transfer it to a bonsai pot and refine the growth from then.
While the tree is in the development stage it is crucial to work on the main structure, as scarring will also heal so rapidly in this phase.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Eucalyptus”