Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Corymbia citriodora 4

Post by Rory »

Corymbia citriodora 4

I Purchased this seedling from Cumberland State Forest Nursery at Castle Hill (now Plants Plus). I have since acquired a lot more due to my infatuation with them. The leaves reduce very well and smell absolutely beautiful. It has the most aromatic foliage I've ever smelt in my life, (you can smell the juvenile leaves from a metre away). It has been described as the most beautiful of all the Eucalypts.

I started a new trunk because for this tree I wanted a more elegant trunk-line than where it was heading.

This photo was taken 03.05.2015

This photo was taken 19.08.2016

This photo was taken 20.09.2017

This photo was taken 01.05.2018
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Rustyck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Corymbia citriodora 4

Post by Rustyck »

Hey mate,
You should have never introduced me to Cumberland state forest. now I'm following your steps and picked up 2 tube stock. my god the smell...

enjoyed it that much that I decided to get a mature one too (they had a 25% off so threw in a grafted Shishigashira to plant at my families place.)

now I'm looking at trunk chopping the Corymbia citriodora,
how do they fare at back budding without lower branches? also recommend after Nov for a trunk chop?
Last edited by Rustyck on October 24th, 2018, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Rustyck wrote:Hey mate,
You should have never introduced me to Cumberland state forest. now I'm following your steps and picked up 2 tube stock. my god the smell...

enjoyed it that much that I decided to get a mature one too (they had a 25% off so threw in a grafted Shishigashira to plant at my families place.)

now I'm looking at trunk chopping the Corymbia citriodora,
how do they fare at back budding without lower branches? also recommend after Nov for a trunk chop?
Hi Rustyck,
I’m glad you got out there. They are definitely the best stockists of native material in proximity to me. A bit pricey, but worth it.

Yes, it was the scent that lured me in too. They are a very hardy tree here. :)
The only thing I wouldn’t do is a big root prune and trunk chop on a newly acquired specimen.
I’d do one or the other first. I prefer to do a root prune and moderate defoliation first.
This way you know immediately what the roots are like, and can work this first.
If you do a heavy root removal and trunk chop on the same day you might promote die-back on a Euc.
I would ease the roots apart and remove about 50% of the roots and remove about 60% of the foliage initially.
Don’t cut back the branches at first. Allow the tree to tell you where it wants to regrow from afterwards and work from there. Also, don’t trim it back again for a long time. Allow it to settle in over time.

Corymbia citriodora has a low likelihood of die-back if you cut below the first branch, but I still prefer to gradually bring back the growth on these over the years. Make sure you ease apart the roots and inspect the whole ball before you do heavy root work, as sometimes they have tap roots that have wrapped around with minimal radial roots. If you cut off too much root on any euc you will get die back. If you make this mistake don’t fret, but ensure you cut off a lot of the foliage then.

The leaves on this species are very long lasting and I prefer to leave quite a few on to continue to support the tree.
As the tree ages, sometime the new growth will start to develop smooth shiny leaves with noticeably less scent than the rough foliage. They will be the same size, but just cut off the branch form where the shiny leaves begin to grow and it will revert back to the gorgeous rough intensely scented leaves again, usually for an entire season or sometimes much longer. They are absolutely beautiful.
They love water too, once they settle in they’re a thirsty tree.

I would definitely recommend trunk chopping or repotting now.
Lastly, if it sulks afterwards, don’t give up. They can sometimes sit for many months before shooting after a heavy root prune. If you only do a trunk chop and no root removal, it will nearly always shoot from where you’ve cut.

In regards to the seedlings or these, don’t go rough on the root removal. Leave this for later down the track. Just ease the roots apart and allow the radials to develop. You can always remove the tap root later once the radials strengthen. But the chances of success are much higher if you don’t remove a lot of root initially.
Last edited by Rory on October 24th, 2018, 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Rustyck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rustyck »

Rory, as always thank you for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Starfox »

Very cool, thanks for the info Rory.
I recently acquired one that was nursery stock and well over 2 meters tall, I cut back to the first branch and it has shot some new growth out but nowhere near as low down as I had hoped for. There are some new buds forming about 30cm from the base so I hope they can push on because at the moment it's basically a straight stick coming from a nice round lignotuber.
I was going to repot it but at the time I didn't have enough soil so hopefully it will make it through winter and I can do that next season if I still have it.
Rustyck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rustyck »

Alright, thanks for the advice Rory, potted the tube stock and spread out the roots, roots look alright,
found one of the tube stock with a chopped or broken trunk and had 3 shoots coming out the lignotuber so picked it up too just for a test “clump”

Then a normal single...

Also reported the larger stock, found a locust in the bottom of the soil which scared the girlfriend (was one of those ones that look double headed)

Trimmed roots about 30% as I saw new roots forming all around the base which was good!
It’s about 6 foot tall atm.

Love the trunk and bark peeling (sadly a little came off during the repotting, but I like the natural peel!)

Peeling bark

Thanks again for the info and don’t intent to hijack your thread, how is your’s progressing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Starfox wrote:Very cool, thanks for the info Rory.
I recently acquired one that was nursery stock and well over 2 meters tall, I cut back to the first branch and it has shot some new growth out but nowhere near as low down as I had hoped for. There are some new buds forming about 30cm from the base so I hope they can push on because at the moment it's basically a straight stick coming from a nice round lignotuber.
I was going to repot it but at the time I didn't have enough soil so hopefully it will make it through winter and I can do that next season if I still have it.
Oh good to hear. Yeah, I’m not sure how cold your winters get, but unless it drops below freezing you should be okay.
Normally if it shoots new shoots after a repot the problem can be that there just isn’t enough root to sustain both the old and new growth and sometimes the new growth dies.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Rustyck wrote: found one of the tube stock with a chopped or broken trunk and had 3 shoots coming out the lignotuber so picked it up too just for a test “clump”
You’ll find over the years that in particular, this species will constantly push out new growth from the lignotuber each growing season.
Rustyck wrote: Trimmed roots about 30% as I saw new roots forming all around the base which was good!
It’s about 6 foot tall atm.
Thanks again for the info and don’t intent to hijack your thread
Wow, okay I didn’t realize you meant it was so tall without any growth down low.
With this stock I would have said it’s an exception, as any dieback is going to be inconsequential compared to having a 2 meter straight trunk. But I wouldn’t cut the trunk now. If you didn’t do it with the root prune, don’t do it now. Leave it until it’s recovered.

No, don’t be silly, adding your pics and experiences to others’ posts is totally fine with me. It’s how everyone learns.
You’ll find that as your tree ages each year you’ll get bark peel a lot, and is beautiful to watch.
Watering the fresh undergrowth from under the bark is just so colorful and it displays the most beautiful emerald green you’ll ever see in a trunk.... especially as it ages with scars and intricacies.

Is that the photo AFTER you repot and cut the roots?
If so, that pot sucks. That is unfortunately going to encourage the roots to grow further down and doesn’t leave a lot of room for radial root growth. Go to Ray Nesci’s Bonsai nursery and buy orchid pots. Buy the large $5.50 size for this tree.

There isn’t a great deal more to report on my tree since the last post, just still growing slowly.
Like you, I have acquired a lot more seedlings of them to trial though.

I hope you have a lot of fun with this Species.
You’ve chosen an exceptionally good choice of material to trial as Bonsai, for the Sydney climate.
Last edited by Rory on October 26th, 2018, 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Starfox »

Rory wrote:
Starfox wrote:Very cool, thanks for the info Rory.
Oh good to hear. Yeah, I’m not sure how cold your winters get, but unless it drops below freezing you should be okay.
Normally if it shoots new shoots after a repot the problem can be that there just isn’t enough root to sustain both the old and new growth and sometimes the new growth dies.
Cheers Rory,
Winters here are pretty frost free but we are going to move in the new year to somewhere frost will a be a concern possibly but I have figured if can take take a couple of bougies and ficus with me and use a greenhouse over winter then no reason the Corymbia and Caaurina can't come too.
This one is fairly root bound but it wouldn't even stand up in the pot without toppling so it got the cut back first. Come spring/summer I will start on the roots.

Return to “Eucalyptus”