Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Moreton Bay fig 1

Post by Rory »

Moreton Bay fig 1

Moreton Bays would be my favourite species of all the figs I've experimented with or seen. This one was purchased from Megumi Bennet (Bonsai Art) in 2013 for $5 as a starter.
My main advice for a newbie on figs is not to cut back in the colder months when the growth is slow, as it can die-back in those areas.

This photo was taken 21.03.2014

This photo was taken 17.08.2016

This photo was taken 02.08.2017
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Moreton Bay fig 1

Post by Rory »

Moreton Bays prefer full sun, and fast drainage. Don't let the roots sit in a damp medium for extended periods of time. The roots will eventually rot if the mix isn't well draining. Only rewater figs when the soil has gone dry. You can comfortably allow the soil to get quite dry before you re-water. Its only if the soil is constantly wet that you usually encounter problems. They shouldn't be left out in temps of below 0 degrees.
As a rough guide.....DO NOT cut back branches at the end of Summer or at the start of Autumn. (If you haven't cut back in early Summer, wait till the next year). The reason is that the new shoots will take about 3 weeks to emerge, and then they need to develop and harden off before the colder months set in. Sometimes the tree doesn't bother, and you'll end up with die-back or the new shoots just die off. Then you're at the bonsai gods' will to determine how far the branch dies back.

In particular with Moretons.... don't let the lower branches get shaded too much or they start to lose vigor and eventually can die back or die if left shaded for too long.

If there is one thing I strongly feel is really horrifying... its when people grow sacrifice branches at the base of figs, and then cut them off when the base has thickened to their liking. A lot of figs have long and strong branches starting at their bases and gradually arching down as they spray out. Often I hook the young branches more upwards to encourage more of an upwards growth if they come out too low.
This is the main thing that I hate about most styled figs... is that they are shaped like deciduous trees in layered branching upwards. Most figs don't grow like that though, and to me its quite unattractive. I prefer to see the lazy upside down squid fig, like I am trying to develop.
If you've ever grown PJ or MB figs, you'll eventually realize that they don't tend to put out a lot of shoots from the base as they age, so to me these are absolute gold when they appear, and they're given the royal treatment to ensure they survive.

I also detest the outward branching formation that a lot of enthusiasts seem to produce. I prefer more of an upwards growth habit and then out and gradually growing outwards, than the more commonly developed approach. I just find that the figs I always see in nature have a much longer and straighter branch development than the really really ramified figs you often see in bonsai development. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I just find if you take an up close look at the initial branching, you'll notice 2 commonly distinct formations:
-Usually there isn't a defined trunk, but multi trunks.
-The branching initially shoots out long and then gradually ramifies.

Moreton fig 1-01 28Oct2013.jpg
28Oct2013

Moreton fig 1-02 17Aug2016.jpg
17Aug2016

Moreton fig 1-03 02Aug2017.jpg
02Aug2017

Moreton fig 1-04 01May2018.jpg
01May2018

Moreton fig 1-05 31Jul2019.jpg
31Jul2019

Moreton fig 1-06 05Mar2021.jpg
05Mar2021
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Moreton fig 1-07 10Jan2022.jpg
10 Jan 2022
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

This will be grown somewhat big. Moreton bays always look better big. :)
Those wires are the bomb. They are super squishy, yet strong. So they don't bite into the Fig if you leave them on too long.

I realize its not quite yet 01.01.2023, but its easier to post that its 2023, so looking back people can easily distinguish that its a year apart. Its only 1 day before the actual date.
Moreton fig 1-08 01Jan2023.jpg
01Jan2023
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Return to “Ficus”