Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus rubignosa
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: Irimbirra

Big Ficus watkinsiana restyle

Post by Timritchie »

Hi, I’ve had this Fig since 1995 and I’ve always struggled with its large leaf size so I’ve bitten the bullet and cut it back hard and repotted it, the tag said I last repotted it in 2012.
I would like an opinion on the lower branch, I feel I should cut it back as its very resistant to bending, I’ve had 2 turnbuckles on it for the last 12 months with no luck.
The Fig is 500 mm tall as it is.

Here’s a pic of the Fig before cut back

This was yesterday during repotting

Back in its training pot
I’m thinking to cut the lower branch back to the point where it divides in 2, hope you can see that in the pics.
Any opinions on the aerial root from the lower branch are welcome too! I kind of like it?

Regards Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Timritchie on November 9th, 2017, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Big Ficus watkinsiana restyle

Post by shibui »

I think I like the direction of that lower branch. Maybe bring the tips down a bit but if you lower the whole branch it will be nearly on the ground.
I'd probably start just shortening the front section of that lower branch about halfway (removing the lump near the end. You don't have much ramification so it would be a shame to remove even more, especially if it has some potential and I think a lower branch should have some solid looking wood in it so leave what you can. On second look, is it possible to leave the smaller part growing slightly upward on that front part of the lower branch? It may give some taper to that area.
The upper branches worry me a little. I think they may be just a bit too thick for the top of the tree. maybe wait until you get shoots then see if you have enough to remove the top one completely and replace it with new thinner shoots.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

One issue I have found with F. watkinsianan is the very long petioles. Also they tend to produce long taperless growth with leaves at the ends. Maybe regular pruning may help to develop ramification, taper and help the leaves reduce. After a cut back I have had reasonably small leaves develop, but only 1 or 2 and then they just keep getting bigger. Good luck with it, it seems like a nice trunk
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Timritchie »

shibui wrote:I think I like the direction of that lower branch. Maybe bring the tips down a bit but if you lower the whole branch it will be nearly on the ground.
I'd probably start just shortening the front section of that lower branch about halfway (removing the lump near the end. You don't have much ramification so it would be a shame to remove even more, especially if it has some potential and I think a lower branch should have some solid looking wood in it so leave what you can. On second look, is it possible to leave the smaller part growing slightly upward on that front part of the lower branch? It may give some taper to that area.
The upper branches worry me a little. I think they may be just a bit too thick for the top of the tree. maybe wait until you get shoots then see if you have enough to remove the top one completely and replace it with new thinner shoots.
Hi Shibui,
As always, from what I’ve read, you always give great advice.
The bottom branch is probably the least concerning feature of the tree and I’m glad you bought up the upper branches/apex, I always tend to be generous when I do a drastic cut, as you can always take a bit more but you can’t add later.
Its staring to bud so I’ll keep looking at it and may trim a bit more? I’ll keep you posted
Thanks Tim

Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Timritchie »

dansai wrote:One issue I have found with F. watkinsianan is the very long petioles. Also they tend to produce long taperless growth with leaves at the ends. Maybe regular pruning may help to develop ramification, taper and help the leaves reduce. After a cut back I have had reasonably small leaves develop, but only 1 or 2 and then they just keep getting bigger. Good luck with it, it seems like a nice trunk
Dansai,
Yes I’ve noticed those aspects of this Fig as I’ve had it for awhile, it might be a case of growing long shoots and cutting back regularly? A clip n grow regime? I’ll keep posting updates, thank you for your input.

Bonsai!

Tim

Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Timritchie »

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Timritchie »

Timritchie wrote:ImageImage

Hi,
Just an update, the apex is budding well but not much action from the 2 branches below. Budding well on the trunk so I’m seriously considering removing the 2 large branches.
Thanks Tim

Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Timritchie »

Hi, here we are 18 days later and the Fig is shooting well, just thought I’d post a pic or 2, incredible growing weather here in Nowra presently, all my figs are going gangbusters!ImageImage

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Shooting like most figs Tim. Plenty of possible branches and sub branches there.
I know it is hard to get rid of lovely new shoots when you've sweated an worried about whether they would grow but it is always important to take off the ones that are not needed as soon as possible. Some of my earlier figs have trunks and branches that are swollen in all the wrong places - reverse taper because I did not recognise the importance of removing shoots and branches growing from the wrong places.
Wherever there's a cluster of shoots together you should remove most of them. Ultimately only keep one at each place but for now thin them down to one or two at any place.
There's a small cluster growing opposite the upper right branch - get rid of all these now or that nice curve will disappear.
rub off any that you do not need - buds from the trunk between branches, buds growing from the base of branches that you are going to keep. If you are not certain the branch will stay - that straight upper left branch and/or the thick one upper right - you should allow just one new shoot to grow somewhere nearby. When the new branch has grown and matured a bit you can cut off the offending one. The apex is another spot that usually thickens excessively so thin out the new shoots there. Just leave a couple - new apex and side branch or 2.

It is way too early to wire and shape these new shoots. Just let the selected ones grow until they start to harden a bit.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Timritchie »

Hi Shibui,
Thanks for your view, I’ve taken that on board and strapped it in for the ride, managed to get that lower branch down to an acceptable level, not worried about the rear section of that branch. Some well placed shoots, one right under the top left branch and one at the base of the right branch, so looking forward to taking them off in the near future.. also some shoots coming lower down on the bare left side of the trunk.
Once again thanks for your input
Merry Christmas
Tim

Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Timritchie »

Hi, took the Christmas decorations off and applied guy wire for lower branch, much tidier
Cheers
Tim

Return to “Ficus”