Bonborn-Yet Another Ficus

bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Bonborn-Yet Another Ficus

Post by bonborn »

Another recently acquired ficus. Not sure what it exactly it but I have been told it might be a Sydney Rock fig (Ficus platypoda – Rock Fig). It does look quite similar to another rock fig that I have.

I haven't done anything to it yet. Is it too late to work on this now. Should I bother setting airlayers or take cuttings.

Any tips, comments will be very much appreciated. 1.7m tall and in a 44cm dia pot.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus rubignosa
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: Irimbirra

Re: Bonborn-Yet Another Ficus

Post by Timritchie »

Hi Bonborn, Ficus platyploda seems to be a arid region Fig from central and northern Australia, here’s a link to the Wikipedia page
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_platypoda
I haven’t heard of a Sydney rock Fig before so I did a bit of a search out of interest.
Closely related to F obliqua, it’s one of 3species that came from F obliqua. I cant see why it shouldn’t possibly may make good Bonsai material. Your tree has an interesting trunk, maybe you could cut it back hard and see what happens, you would also have a heap of material to make cuttings from.
They must be pretty hardy to be considered a dry arid central Aus species and remember there are 750 species of ficus.
Look forward to more posts about your tree
Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Ficus”