GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Lemon scented T

Post by GavinG »

This tree illustrates the principle that although you may not like a tree, don't get rid of it - it may not have finished with you yet. This tree is evolving into something complex and elegant, rather than a foliage blob on a trunk - for my money (which ain't much) I'd be interested to see how it looked with some gaps between the foliage events - possibly they're there in 3D, but at the moment there's still a sort-of solid outline of foliage all the way over the top that doesn't relate to the trunk. The detail that is evolving in the branches shows some fine growing. I would like to see how this one continues.

Thanks for posting,

Gavin
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Treeman ,Coming on nicely ,the branches are starting to get that lighter ,airy look that a lot of natives have. Maybe a bit more thinning of the tips as it grows . Cheers John.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

:yes: Coming along beautifully.

I went back to the start of this thread and I guess you're glad you persevered and I hope your not depressed by natives anymore. Everything is relative - this would be a wonderful tree in my average collection!

Also thanks for this historical comment Boics - it made me smile.
Boics wrote:You're welcome to leave natives like this one with me and to export your exotics .....
I wish I could complain about tree's of this quality...
One day!
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

....and a completely random thought that I just noticed.

Look at the ausbonsai header above. Look at the first bonsai in the series.

Different species but design is similar to where Treeman's Lemon Scented T is now at. I reckon anyway.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

GavinG wrote:This tree illustrates the principle that although you may not like a tree, don't get rid of it - it may not have finished with you yet. This tree is evolving into something complex and elegant, rather than a foliage blob on a trunk - for my money (which ain't much) I'd be interested to see how it looked with some gaps between the foliage events - possibly they're there in 3D, but at the moment there's still a sort-of solid outline of foliage all the way over the top that doesn't relate to the trunk. The detail that is evolving in the branches shows some fine growing. I would like to see how this one continues.

Thanks for posting,

Gavin
Thanks for your comments Gavin (and everyone) I can see that the concerns of most people are the lack of separation in the crown. I agree with this although we must keep in mind that this will probably develop as the tree becomes older and hopefully slows down in growth a little. I must admit I have not been giving this tree the detailed attention it probably now demands. In other words not waiting so long between trimming and trying to get shorter internodes and more ramification will make it easier to arrange the crown into separate clumps. So far the best thing that happened to it since the first post was the further tilt to the left and bringing the crown back up to the right. I can see this going even a bit further in the future.
Mike
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

This is a promising tree, I like the change in angle and I know it is in good hands with respect to refinement of the canopy in terms of maintaining the character and 'feel' of an Aussie native so look forward to seeing how it develops (no pom poms here!). I also like the shape/proportion of the new pot - I think this suits much better.
Hope you don't mind me asking but my biggest curiosity is these :
InkedP1120420_LI.jpg
Probably nothing to do with anything and I should mind my own business ... but my curiosity is piqued!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Ryceman3 wrote:This is a promising tree, I like the change in angle and I know it is in good hands with respect to refinement of the canopy in terms of maintaining the character and 'feel' of an Aussie native so look forward to seeing how it develops (no pom poms here!). I also like the shape/proportion of the new pot - I think this suits much better.
Hope you don't mind me asking but my biggest curiosity is these :
InkedP1120420_LI.jpg
Probably nothing to do with anything and I should mind my own business ... but my curiosity is piqued!
They are just to hold down the fertilizer cakes. Still there from last summer..

Regarding this species, I'd have to say that it's not too easy to make the twigs do what you want! They grow at any angle - up, down, sideways, towards the inside of the tree etc. Most of these need to be cut off which delays the ''desification''
Nothing like a Melaleuca or other kinds of Leptos for example. I won't be doing any more of these with so many better things to choose from.
Last edited by treeman on August 6th, 2018, 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Ha, yep... simple explanation. Curiosity satisfied... thanks!

Return to “Leptospermum”