Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Leptospermum Petersonii on a rock

Post by Josh »

Finally got around to doing something with this tree. I bought this tree in October 2012. Wish I had kept it for the shoin comp :palm: I paid a grand total of $1.50 for it from the dead pile at a nursery. I really liked the trunk but it needed some work on it.
5.JPG
10.JPG
12.JPG
14.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG
23.JPG
25.JPG
26.JPG
27.JPG
28.JPG
Time for it to sit and recover for a while now. Comments welcome

Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Re: Leptospermum Petersonii on a rock

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Nice little Lepto you've got there mate, great trunk texture for a small tree! You'll have to keep the water up to it over summer ;)
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

cre8ivbonsai wrote:Nice little Lepto you've got there mate, great trunk texture for a small tree! You'll have to keep the water up to it over summer ;)
Thanks Ryan.
Yeah that's my next big plan. To set up some watering systems, shade areas and water trays. The bark on the trunk was why I bought it. For such a small tree it has real texture.

Josh.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Well done Josh.

Looks a little treat and a great job from $1.50 worth of stock.
Now the tricky part.
Keeping it alive!

Cheers.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Boics wrote:Well done Josh.

Looks a little treat and a great job from $1.50 worth of stock.
Now the tricky part.
Keeping it alive!

Cheers.
You guys are getting me worried all this talk about keeping it alive :palm: I will be working on a drip/spray irrigation system for my smaller pots over summer.

Josh.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Cute little tree you got there bud.

:yes: lol They are right, Petersonii are bastards if you ask me. I have tried 2 of them previously, and after heavy cutting back, both didn't make it. So I purchased another, and lost it, but this time, from lack of water. So, I persevered, and have bought a seedling, and have managed to keep it alive, albeit through minimal cutting back and keeping a close eye on its water consumption. I find that the hybrid Leptospermum Lemon-Frost is much hardier, and easier to manage, as they have survived very heavy cutting back, periods of reduced water, overwatering etc etc.... but time will tell.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Josh, I love what you are doing with your rock pots and this rock is super!
I know nothing about this tree species but I think it could be a great tree in time, so best of luck mate.
My :2c: is that it appears that the tree is planted too centrally in the rock and with a dynamic rock like this it might have looked better if the tree had been planted a little to one side. Then in the future when the tree is ready to be styled, the directional flow of the tree would match the area of the rock with the most negative space.
The rock also seems rather large for the tree at this stage of its development, but that will change as it fills out.
I hope this doesn't come across as being critical, I love the tree and the rock! Good job mate :tu2:
Cheers, Dario.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Dario wrote:Hi Josh, I love what you are doing with your rock pots and this rock is super!
I know nothing about this tree species but I think it could be a great tree in time, so best of luck mate.
My :2c: is that it appears that the tree is planted too centrally in the rock and with a dynamic rock like this it might have looked better if the tree had been planted a little to one side. Then in the future when the tree is ready to be styled, the directional flow of the tree would match the area of the rock with the most negative space.
The rock also seems rather large for the tree at this stage of its development, but that will change as it fills out.
I hope this doesn't come across as being critical, I love the tree and the rock! Good job mate :tu2:
Cheers, Dario.
The mate, appreciate to comments. It's funny how after you plant a tree you look a think "I should have..." It's a learn experience. I actually thought it was sitting a bit high so I have carved it out a bit more. I think it looks better now. I'll post another pic when I can.

Josh.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dario »

Josh wrote: The mate, appreciate to comments. It's funny how after you plant a tree you look a think "I should have..." Josh.
Totally agree Josh and that to me is a normal part of the learning process, but it can be really frustrating at times too...(that is a general observation and not a direct comment on any part of your composition).
It is also really easy to do what I did and make a comment from looking at a pic of someone else's tree after it is done etc. But it is another thing actually making it yourself, so nice work.
Where did you come across such a nice rock Josh. I am often on the look out for a good rock, but as yet I haven't had much luck in finding one that really rocks :palm: excuse the bad pun mate :crybye:
Cheers, Dario.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

bonsaibuddyman wrote:Cute little tree you got there bud.

:yes: lol They are right, Petersonii are bastards if you ask me. I have tried 2 of them previously, and after heavy cutting back, both didn't make it. So I purchased another, and lost it, but this time, from lack of water. So, I persevered, and have bought a seedling, and have managed to keep it alive, albeit through minimal cutting back and keeping a close eye on its water consumption. I find that the hybrid Leptospermum Lemon-Frost is much hardier, and easier to manage, as they have survived very heavy cutting back, periods of reduced water, overwatering etc etc.... but time will tell.
This tree has been constantly cut back almost a stick. When I bought it, it was pot bound, bone dry and not in good shape (see the first pic as bought). I've not done anything special with the tree, just sat on the bench with the rest. Maybe I got lucky.

Josh.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Dario wrote:
Josh wrote: The mate, appreciate to comments. It's funny how after you plant a tree you look a think "I should have..." Josh.
Totally agree Josh and that to me is a normal part of the learning process, but it can be really frustrating at times too...(that is a general observation and not a direct comment on any part of your composition).
It is also really easy to do what I did and make a comment from looking at a pic of someone else's tree after it is done etc. But it is another thing actually making it yourself, so nice work.
Where did you come across such a nice rock Josh. I am often on the look out for a good rock, but as yet I haven't had much luck in finding one that really rocks :palm: excuse the bad pun mate :crybye:
Cheers, Dario.
All good mate. The photo doesn't do the tree and rock justice either. I had thought about carving out a small spot to the side and planting a companion plant on there as well or some moss or something. Guess ill see if it survives first.
The is called mud rock. I crawl all over huge piles of rock for ages just to find one or two thelat are suitable. I have started buying big slabs ( note to self, not good for back) and splitting them myself. I end up with a bit of waste but I usually get ok rocks out of it to. With the right tools it carves easily (although works up a sweat still). It some great colours in to. I actually broke a piece off this rock and was able to glue it back on so you wouldn't know it was broken. It all a learning curve and the more rocks I do the better they will look hopefully.
I've got a couple more I'm working on. Dust is the biggest issue when carving.

Josh.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dario »

Thanks Josh, sounds like a lot of work but well worth the effort judging by your results.
It will be good to see the other rocks you are working on when you have finished carving them up.
Cheers, Dario.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Josh , mate i know the effort that goes into these things and you have captured the essence of the bush with this one . Now go grab yourself a tray of some sort fill it with sand , gravel or scoria and sit the rock in it like a wet bed .

That will keep it moist but no wet and help keep the rock cool at the same time , hope the Summer is a mild one be a shame to loose it :yes: .

Cheers Alpine
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

alpineart wrote:Hi Josh , mate i know the effort that goes into these things and you have captured the essence of the bush with this one . Now go grab yourself a tray of some sort fill it with sand , gravel or scoria and sit the rock in it like a wet bed .

That will keep it moist but no wet and help keep the rock cool at the same time , hope the Summer is a mild one be a shame to loose it :yes: .

Cheers Alpine
Thanks Alpine, hadn't thought about the rock heating up :palm: good call. I've been collecting big trays from op shops (my wife thinks I'm mad) for such s thing so will have to get them out now. Got shade cloth as a temp cover to protect a few newly potted trees as well so fingers crossed. These rocks are soft but still a bit of effort goes into carving them. Still working on my mountain rock, going to a long process.

Josh.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Love your work Josh, I think the transformation is great, a real credit to you.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Leptospermum”