Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Lemon scented T

Post by GavinG »

OK, I'll bite.

For me, the trunk does really interesting things, but the pot is completely out of balance with it, and the the two solid foliage masses seem only to be there because "that's what you do to bonsai" - they don't relate to the trunk either.

I think there's a very good bonsai in there, when you open out the foliage blobs into something finer and more nuanced that the birds can fly through, and potted into a smaller, softer-lined pot.

I'd have that trunk any day, but I can see why you don't like it. Native have a different visual rhythm to exotics. It's interesting when you said " a tree that has not been touched by human hands" - most Japanese and Australian exotic species bonsai (including mine by the way) don't come anywhere near that.

Will Fletcher has a particularly "natural" style that drives me nuts - it's exceptionally graceful, but looks quite random although there's an enormous amount of work gone into getting that. I've no idea how it's done, but it's worth a look to free up your thinking.

As regards the Melbourne native show, I was most impressed, but there were clearly some better resolved trees than others. The best, I think, looked completely "natural" while having had an enormous amount of work done on them over many years. Making your work look not artificial, stiff, predictable, or boring is the essence of bonsai to me, whether you use native or exotic species.

Each (species) to his own.

Gavin
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I basically don't disagree with any of that.
Mike
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

G'day Mike,

Love the trunk and I reckon it is worth persisting with.

Have you considered leaning it over to the left? I've found it difficult to created separate pads of foliage with these leptospermum but I think if you were to open up the pads something like the foliage on my crude virt below you might be able to achieve a more natural image.

Hopefully you will keep posting updated on this one and your others :fc:

Regards,
Steven
TreemansTeaTree.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Funny thing. I was wanting to reply but waiting for a time when I cold comment without distraction, but I see others have beat me to it. I have no doubt in your skills as a bonsai artist Mike. I have seen your other trees and your advice and respect your experience and ability to express your art. Gavin probably said all I was going to say but a lot better and Steves virt was along the lines I was thinking. I think it has more to do with how native material is used than wether they make good bonsai and was going to refer to Will Fletchers work too. It doesn't always make me feel comfortable as I am fairly new to the art and still have exoctic images influencing my eye, but I have seen many natives present very strong images. I hope one day to be able to style a tree with as much grace as yours or Wills.

Thanks for sharing your work.
Dan
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

Mike, I absolutely agree with you, it is also my own personal observation that the so called "japanese style" is simply, apart from a few extreme examples, the shapes, styles and silhouettes in which trees grow worldwide. I was always confused when people said that they were styling a tree in the Australian style or American style. Art is an ever evolving thing, and if you look back to bonsai of 50 years ago.. You can see that it was raw, it had much rougher structure to what is accepted as the norm nowadays... So we don't only have the basic styles to draw from when we look for bonsai inspiration, but we have a historical record in books from the past. I'm sure we can find a style appropriate to any environment if we look back through years and years of kokufu books.

Adam
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Steven wrote:G'day Mike,

Love the trunk and I reckon it is worth persisting with.

Have you considered leaning it over to the left? I've found it difficult to created separate pads of foliage with these leptospermum but I think if you were to open up the pads something like the foliage on my crude virt below you might be able to achieve a more natural image.

Hopefully you will keep posting updated on this one and your others :fc:

Regards,
Steven
Hi Steve, I totally realize that this tree needs work and your suggestion is very good.
I only really posted it to illustrate what most natives on exibit look like to me (or variations of it), But I really like your idea.
TreemansTeaTree.png
Mike
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Hi Mike.... If it were mine, I'd be inclined to go with something like this. But none of my trees fit within the box. I am always outside the box and see trees differently. Personally I'd lean towards the right virtual. For myself, going for walks every week in the national park where we live and seeing what nature continually produces rather than what man produces, it has turned my liking towards a different perspective than others.

test tree2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

update

Post by treeman »

I've only opened it up a touch. I think it looks better? and it's starting to get that aged look to the bark.

Mike
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

I really like this one. Nice work!
Cheers
Elmar
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Hi Mike,
Much better. If it were mine, I would still thin out "just a bit" of the top canopy to the left. Great work :hooray:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

I think the best way forward for this tree is to just let it grow and keep exposing more and more of the branch structure from underneath. In other words, not to bother ''re-styling''.
As Murata says...the dignity of the years will accrue in the end. (Bare in mind that my camera shows it more narrow than it actually is)
Time for another thinning.....
P1120420.JPG
P1120421.JPG
Mike
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Hi treeman,
Currently growing 2 of these myself from old nursery stock material - unfortunately mine do not have the movement in the trunk, or ramification in the branches, as well as yours.

:imo: The wide lip on the pot you're currently using, is doing your trunk no favours. It's too heavy & adding confusion to the overall scale. It may only be a temporary pot? - but your trunk looked much more dominant in your first 2015 pic, when the pot's rim was thinner.

Have you ever allowed this to flower?
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

A few adjustments and a repot
P1120453.JPG
P1120455.JPG
P1120456.JPG
Mike
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

That's certainly evolving into a beautiful elegant tree, Mike!
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

Very nice in a way. If it was mine, I would lose the lower branch and turn it to a literati.
:imo:
DK
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.

Return to “Leptospermum”