Lemon scented T

treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Lemon scented T

Post by treeman »

I find many (not all) native bonsai (including this one) not very exciting. They can seem rather depressing. (Am I alone)
I am trying to develop some more exciting material to work with. In the meantime I will persevere with it but it's not saying much to me.
Comments?
042.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Lemon scented T

Post by Boics »

You're welcome to leave natives like this one with me and to export your exotics and yourself overseas?

:tounge:

Personally I think this is a lovely (looks little?) tree Treeman!
I think this is a great realistic looking specimen and one that I would be only too proud to have on my bench!

Constructively I think a little less density in the canopy might accentuate the ramification and complexity that you have achieved.

I wish I could complain about tree's of this quality...
One day!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Wrap it up and send it to me! I will force myself to struggle on with it... Lol

At worst it's a nice practice specimen but I kinda like it, you're getting to the ramifications stage and that alone would be exciting, to me anyway!

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Boics wrote:You're welcome to leave natives like this one with me ...
Constructively I think a little less density in the canopy might accentuate the ramification and complexity that you have achieved.

I wish I could complain about tree's of this quality...
One day!
Haha best me to it! Paper, scissors Rock!?!?

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

Good on you Treeman, I like the way you stir the pot!
Bonsai would be pretty boring if we all grew the same trees, there is nothing wrong with giving it a go and saying you don't like it. I believe the banksias lead your list of dislikes but that is fine we much rather know exactly what people think. In recent times I have spoken to a few exactly the opposite attitude saying things like:
"why do we try to do it the way the Japanese do?" or
"we have our own trees!"
My advice, grow what you like and grow it well. If it does not get you excited don't pretend that it does there are lots of different opinions to be shared and appreciated. You will never please everyone but it is important to please yourself.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by Brian »

Gerard, nothing beats a beautiful pine bonsai.

Apart from figs, i'm not a big fan for native bonsai.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

The tree is OK. As previously stated, I too would reduce the foliage mas. Also try to lower the LHS branch as it currently looks like an extension of the trunk which doesn't appeal to my eye. Still an OK tree. Certainly worth playing with.
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

It's ok not to like something or particular species. Don't tell anyone but I don't like junipers!
From reading your posts you seem to know your stuff so I have no doubt you'll be able to do something with it.
If not sell it and buy more of the stock you like! Sounds like there would be a few takers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Gerard wrote:Good on you Treeman, I like the way you stir the pot!
Bonsai would be pretty boring if we all grew the same trees, there is nothing wrong with giving it a go and saying you don't like it. I believe the banksias lead your list of dislikes but that is fine we much rather know exactly what people think. In recent times I have spoken to a few exactly the opposite attitude saying things like:
"why do we try to do it the way the Japanese do?" or
"we have our own trees!"
My advice, grow what you like and grow it well. If it does not get you excited don't pretend that it does there are lots of different opinions to be shared and appreciated. You will never please everyone but it is important to please yourself.
Thanks Gerard. Don't get me wrong, I like native trees. ( I have many planted on my property) But let me explain what I mean. Because of our dry climate, many of our trees have evolved a glaucous covering on their leaves to protect them. This tends to give them rather dull grey-green look. They do not have (and I'm generalizing) that lush green which humans are attracted to because it stirs a primordial feeling in us of fertility and bounty. Therefore if we are to grow native trees as art objects. I believe we should put great emphasis on the dramatic. The kind of shapes we see on wind battered coastlines or mountain tops. If we don't, we end up with a tree (like mine) which looks like a roadside shrub which does nothing to inspire our imagination.
With the ''Japanese style'' thing my feeling is this: There is no such thing. What the Japanese have always strived for is to achieve a tree which looks like it has never been touched by human hands. (With varying levels of success btw) But they have done it better than everyone else so far. To my mind, If you style a native tree to look as natural as possible, you are just ''doing it the way the Japanese do''.
Last edited by treeman on April 22nd, 2015, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

At first glance, I really like the tree, but once you all started talking about it, I thought about it more and I can see what you mean. :reading:

What about air layering the leader at the Y?

I wouldn't know what to do with the rest of it though... :lost:
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

many have already said they would be happy to own it, so I wont go there (but yes, I'd have it)... This tree reminds me of some trees in my estate, so it appeals to me. You should be proud of the fact you can get natives to survive long enough to shape/wire them, I have no luck with natives...
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Camellia Japanese Maple

Post by Wayne R »

Oh well, in for a penny....

As I look around my neighbourhood I see Oz native trees in all their glory and most seem to follow a common pattern. We will grow as fast as we can... we will have only a few branches, but they will be huge and fall on idiots who camp under us... we will have amazing bark... oh, and we'd better put out a few photosynthesis factories at the tips of our branches, but only at the tips, otherwise we're not a tree.

Consciously or not, I think this is the direction Treeman has taken, but not far enough imo. I'd strip all leaves except for those at the ends of each branch. From what I can see in the image, I'd remove at least half the foliage. In the case of natives such as this, ramification should perhaps be avoided so that the result is a bare branch with a green arc on the end... akin to an umbrella, if you get my drift.

:2c: from a noob
Peace
Wayne
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

Wayne R wrote:Oh well, in for a penny....

As I look around my neighbourhood I see Oz native trees in all their glory and most seem to follow a common pattern. We will grow as fast as we can... we will have only a few branches, but they will be huge and fall on idiots who camp under us... we will have amazing bark... oh, and we'd better put out a few photosynthesis factories at the tips of our branches, but only at the tips, otherwise we're not a tree.

Consciously or not, I think this is the direction Treeman has taken, but not far enough imo. I'd strip all leaves except for those at the ends of each branch. From what I can see in the image, I'd remove at least half the foliage. In the case of natives such as this, ramification should perhaps be avoided so that the result is a bare branch with a green arc on the end... akin to an umbrella, if you get my drift.

:2c: from a noob
:lol: :lol:
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Jarad wrote:
At first glance, I really like the tree, but once you all started talking about it, I thought about it more and I can see what you mean.

Excellent. I'm glad someone has understood my rant :) My point basically is don't get excited because its a eucalyptus or whatever, get excited because it's a good tree...or a great tree. Going by the native show, we are not there yet. Some trees there are beautiful but some ....in my opinion!....should not be exibited. ( you can decide which is which )
What about air layering the leader at the Y?
I wouldn't even try
Mike
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Post by Jow »

Hey mike,

I'd have to agree with your review of this tree. I'm not a big fan either.

What i do like is:

- Trunk movement
- The bark
- Ramification (even if it is just two pom poms.)
- Trunk taper

What i don't like:

- Lack of branch structure
- Lack of sense of scale
- The form seems to mimic a young shape rather than an older tree.

I wonder if you can cut it back severely and expect back budding?

Return to “Leptospermum”