pebble
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society

Advice on this little lepto

Post by pebble »

So picked up this coastal tea tree a few weeks back from Sydney wildflower nursery
and was looking for a bit of advice from people that have had some experience with these. Before I do anything with this tree.

So it's obviously quite young and very long n stringy. My thoughts were to put it in the ground or big pot for a few years to thicken it up a bit and maybe a air layer to get another tree out of it.

Just wondering if it was your tree what you would do with it and how you would move forward?

Also can you feed them hard to thicken them up quicker?

Cheers dwayne
I'm a bonsai newb
im a total newb
Lane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided....
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Re: Advice on this little lepto

Post by Lane »

I assume you've seen Treeman's thread on this species?

He has a few in the ground with some serious bends going on that may be good inspiration for you?

Are there many other of these and other natives at that nursery? I need more natives!
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Yes thicken up in the ground or styro box. And put some movement into it now - you can't do it later when it thicker. And remember the bends "soften" after the wire comes off so don't be scared to put some radical movement into it.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
bonsaibruce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club

Post by bonsaibruce »

Greetings,
Do NOT cut off the lower branches.
Put some curves into the trunk

Cut the higher foliage to let the sun into the lower branches, that you need to thicken up.
Happy bonsai,
Bruce
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Coast Ti tree does not bud on bare wood reliably so you can't just let them grow very big then cut back. I think the best way is to prune back regularly while there is still foliage on the shoots. They do like to be fed and regular feeding will encourage growth. No need for low P 'native' fert. Leptos are happy to have standard fertilisers.
Definitely make some strong bends in any parts you are considering will be in the final tree. As Bougy fan points out trees tend to thicken more inside bends so bends are gradually less over time so overdo the bending now to allow for that.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

To late to bend this one. You need to cut low and bend a side branch. Make sure there is a branch on either side of the cut.
tt1.PNG
Look for your tree down here:
ct2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by treeman on April 15th, 2016, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
pebble
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pebble »

MacGuyver wrote:I assume you've seen Treeman's thread on this species?

He has a few in the ground with some serious bends going on that may be good inspiration for you?

Are there many other of these and other natives at that nursery? I need more natives!
You would assume correct :), yeah they are a very interesting species and have caught my eye recently after yes seeing treeman's posts and others putting up pics of theirs from shows n what not. Also walks along the south coast I have begun to notice them.

Macguyver Sydney wildflower nursery have a great range of Australian natives to chose from. I'm sure I will be back there in the future as I have always had a like for natives trees.
So when I bought this one he had about 6 others that had just came in, and also mentioned some 20 year old ones that were at another nursery but silly me didn't ask more about them :plam:

shibui wrote:Coast Ti tree does not bud on bare wood reliably so you can't just let them grow very big then cut back. I think the best way is to prune back regularly while there is still foliage on the shoots. They do like to be fed and regular feeding will encourage growth. No need for low P 'native' fert. Leptos are happy to have standard fertilisers.
Definitely make some strong bends in any parts you are considering will be in the final tree. As Bougy fan points out trees tend to thicken more inside bends so bends are gradually less over time so overdo the bending now to allow for that.
Awesome advice shibui, as I didn't want to kill this one feeding it like I did to one of my other Australian native 1yo cuttings.

Cheers dwayne
I'm a bonsai newb
im a total newb
pebble
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pebble »

treeman wrote:To late to bend this one. You need to cut low and bend a side branch. Make sure there is a branch on either side of the cut.
tt1.PNG
ct2.PNG
Cheers treeman
So what would happen if I did try and bend it? Would it kill the tree? Or because they don't back bud easily on bare wood it would turn in to good bonsai?

Cheers dwayne
I'm a bonsai newb
im a total newb
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

pebble wrote:
treeman wrote:To late to bend this one. You need to cut low and bend a side branch. Make sure there is a branch on either side of the cut.
tt1.PNG
ct2.PNG
Cheers treeman
So what would happen if I did try and bend it? Would it kill the tree? Or because they don't back bud easily on bare wood it would turn in to good bonsai?

Cheers dwayne
I'm a bonsai newb
You just run the risk of snapping a branch/trunk if you try and bend. Plus putting movement in that low, and having it snap... will finish the tree :(

They do make great bonsai though, I've got one myself that I worked on with Bjorn and it turned out a treat, plus a few other members of my club have them and they all look superb. Think they're actually classed as a weed over here

They don't backbud well, so you just need to keep as many options avaiable as you can, and make sure that you definitely don't want a branch before you cut it off :P
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

The other thing that I will mention is that I'd be taking Treemans advise.
I'd also add that if you wished to thicken the base I'd consider not making Treeman's suggested chop just yet.
Try and subtly bend the major trunk out of the way to let the light onto your new leader.
Wire up your new leader as suggested with some funky bends! Don't be shy!

Let the whole tree grow and thicken keep an eye on your funky branch (which will be your new tree).
Only when the base has reached your desired thickness - cut. If you cut earlier you slow the process IMO.
Then continue work on branches and the plan for your new tree!

Keep us posted!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
pebble
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Advice on this little lepto

Post by pebble »

Thanks Jason yeah last thing I want to do is run the risk of snapping it.
Cheers boics... That Sounds like a good plan of attack. Glad I hit you guys you for some advice And I certainly will keep everyone posted as it progresses

Cheers dwayne
I'm a bonsai newb
Last edited by pebble on April 15th, 2016, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im a total newb
addict2bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: leptospernum laevigatum
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: BonSocWA BonW

Post by addict2bonsai »

If you are wanting to try any bending then wire the tree when it has been standing in water for a day.
I do this also with Callistemon and massage branch or trunk slowly. If it snaps brace it with some mesh, put cut paste around it and leave alone. Mostly it repairs well
Alek Stead
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Grewia Lavender Star

Post by Alek Stead »

so what did you end up doing with it?
i just got mine and i am very happy with it
pebble
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pebble »

I've put some bends in the lower two branches just in case I have to lose the main leader.
Have also put some bends in the main branch but as these are hard to bend with out braking them, they aren't anything crazy and have split it in a few places trying to bend them. so have used cut paste and going to see if it heals up ok.
Have also taking some cuttings, so hopefully they take root.

Cheers dwayne
I'm a bonsai newb
im a total newb
Alek Stead
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Grewia Lavender Star

Post by Alek Stead »

pebble wrote:I've put some bends in the lower two branches just in case I have to lose the main leader.
Have also put some bends in the main branch but as these are hard to bend with out braking them, they aren't anything crazy and have split it in a few places trying to bend them. so have used cut paste and going to see if it heals up ok.
Have also taking some cuttings, so hopefully they take root.

Cheers dwayne
I'm a bonsai newb

that sounds good, please take a photo if thats okay? also please let me know how your cuttings go

Return to “Leptospermum”