Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Total change of direction for my bent Melaleuca

Post by Josh »

Ok so I first started tis tree here viewtopic.php?f=104&t=13710&hilit=+bending
I got some really good movement out of this tree and it powered away with new growth but unfortunately after going away with work for several days and leaving the missus in charge of watering it died :palm:
My fault really as I hadn't explained properly that on 45 deg days these trees need watering more than once and not just a sprinkle. I came home to find brown crispy leaves. Anyway (take a deep breath) I kinda tossed it on the dead pile (read plant hospital, kept watering but didn't think it would do much) and just to prove me wrong it reshot from down on the base.
The main trunk died off but this little shoot took off. I cut back the large main trunk which was now totally dead and rotting then re-potted it and away it went.
15.JPG
So this tree decided to grow on and this time I've kept it in a tray of water and it loves it.
GC.JPG
I cleaned it up and wired it today
IMG_2926.JPG
It is growing off a "log". I plan to hollow out each end to give the appearance of a totally hollow log. Out of interest do you think I could hollow out the log totally :?: :?:
17.JPG
I'm thinking it might look good in this pot
IMG_2833.JPG
Comments welcome

Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Total change of direction for my bent Melaleuca

Post by Josh »

Carved out the log today. I want to create the old tree that has fallen over and reshot, the log on the bottom rots out over time leaving a place for animals to hide/live.
22.JPG
25.JPG
23.JPG
24.JPG
26.JPG
27.JPG
28.JPG
My questions is should I use lime sulphur or should I treat it with earls wood hardener??

Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

The problem I see with any treatment will be to keep it away from the roots so it does not kill the tree.
Either will be difficult but a small brush will get in the ok and certainly help it last.

Amazing how resilient trees are !, Who said natives were delicate :lol:
great work

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

kcpoole wrote:The problem I see with any treatment will be to keep it away from the roots so it does not kill the tree.
Either will be difficult but a small brush will get in the ok and certainly help it last.

Amazing how resilient trees are !, Who said natives were delicate :lol:
great work

Ken
Yeah that was my main concern Ken, it leaching onto the roots. Think I'll use the wood hardener as I don't really want to bleach as such. This tree is quite amazing. It has put out new roots all along the log from everywhere. I didn't think it would root like it has along the length of the log. Tough little buggers these are. My main concern is rotting but near us here they grow in straight water/swamp so not sure how much of an issue that will be.

Josh
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

I'd go with the wood hardener as well, having it too bleached wouldn't look right I don't think ( :2c: )

Curious to see how it turns out :cool:
Last edited by Jason on November 25th, 2013, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Jason wrote:I'd go with the wood hardener as well, having it too bleached wouldn't look right I don't think ( :2c: )

Curious to see how it turns out :cool:
Yeah I agree the bleached look wouldn't work on this one. I am also curious to see how this turns out ( if it survives actually).

Josh.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Thought I should update this tree. It survived the hollowing out of the log, in fact it has thrived.
31.JPG
32.JPG
33.JPG
35.JPG
36.JPG
37.JPG
38.JPG
39.JPG
40.JPG
47.JPG
48.JPG
49.JPG
50.JPG
51.JPG
You can view the rock being carved here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13598&hilit=+rock+pot

Pretty happy with where the tree is going so far. Still needs some branch placement but getting there. Comments welcome.
Josh
52.JPG
53.JPG
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

Hi josh looking good-few minor comments. I would like to see the height reduced, I think this will give more emphasis on the root, at the moment the size tends to draw you away from it.
Love the pot but not sure the combination works-it has very similar colours as the tree so the tree and root get absorbed by it, I would be inclined for a natural flatter rock. I would lose the moss and just go for a natural rock colour-maybe a few larger rocks jutting out. Just minor comments that this newby feels would take it to the next level.great tree and I'd happily have it on my bench!
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive

Post by Raymond »

OUTSTANDING!! :worship:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I like it, well done mate!
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Josh,
Looking at the first photo, in a colander, :tu: :tu: :tu: to your latest photo, great. Please keep posting as you continue your development of the tree.

Regards Ray
marcela
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives,Maples
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Vic Native Bonsai Club

Post by marcela »

Hi Josh, hope you bring this to the December meeting, it will be a good discussion/ critique topic.
Love it!
Marcela
Marcela
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Isitangus wrote:Hi josh looking good-few minor comments. I would like to see the height reduced, I think this will give more emphasis on the root, at the moment the size tends to draw you away from it.
Love the pot but not sure the combination works-it has very similar colours as the tree so the tree and root get absorbed by it, I would be inclined for a natural flatter rock. I would lose the moss and just go for a natural rock colour-maybe a few larger rocks jutting out. Just minor comments that this newby feels would take it to the next level.great tree and I'd happily have it on my bench!
Hi Isitangus,
I have let it grow a bit as I had pruned it reasonably hard to encourage back budding. If I don't do this it tends to tip grow only. Because of this I have let it grow to thicken the branches and fill out again. It will be pruned and bought back a bit.
The photo doesn't do the rock or tree justice. It sits really well in the rock and gives it a real Australian feel. The rock is wet in the photo and is actually slightly paler normally.
Over all I'm pretty happy with the setting as is at the moment, but appreciate the comments.
Raymond wrote:OUTSTANDING!! :worship:
Watto wrote:I like it, well done mate!
Thanks Guys, pretty happy with how this tree has filled out. The log is looking good with the hollow effect. Even had slaters and other bugs in it.
Ray M wrote:Hi Josh,
Looking at the first photo, in a colander, :tu: :tu: :tu: to your latest photo, great. Please keep posting as you continue your development of the tree.

Regards Ray
Thanks Ray, now I wonder where I got that idea from :lost: :lost: lol. I grow most in colanders now. I was amazed how many roots this had when I pulled it out of the colander and how close they are to the tree :tu: :tu: Growing in the colander definitely made a difference to how quickly this responded :imo: Will keep updating as I go.

Thanks
Josh
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

marcela wrote:Hi Josh, hope you bring this to the December meeting, it will be a good discussion/ critique topic.
Love it!
Marcela
Will do Marcela. Hopefully I can make that one lol.

Return to “Melaleuca”