Incana, Lanceolata, Linariifolia, Rhaphiophylla, Styphelioides etc
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: [Pearcy] Melaleuca

Post by Pearcy001 »

Upon a bit closer inspection it appears over the coming weeks a few more buds may pop.

As a test when I cut the tree back I left a few branches that had been stripped of foliage previously, only to have been considered dead.

The secondary branch in this photo has had no foliage for some time. Upon having another look this afternoon I can see a couple of small buds coming to life!

It may possibly be popping buds as it wasn't the final branch, therefore sap would have kept flowing past it stopping it from dieing back? Who knows.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on November 28th, 2016, 7:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

So about 4 weeks after this one was cut and wired I went overseas for 2 months. Before I left I was forced to cut off the wire.

No surprise, the branches didn't set.

Also due to not being there to pinch back the new growth in order to redirect energy, some of the buds I had hoped to extend did not.

It became extremely overgrown putting on a ton of growth. At the start of February I gave it another back back, removing most the foliage yet again (sorry forgot the before shot).

I went out today and took a slightly updated shot. Sun was nearly down so nearly didn't get it.

As you can see, the next section of leader has put on its fair share of growth.

When wiring the branches again I got ambitious and tried cage wire a low down bud on the left. As you would have guessed I now have a cage with no bud. Live and learn I guess haha.

I'm considering cutting off all foliage again, except this time back to the absolute lowest sub-branch, leaving only the lowest foliage on each remaining branch in order to try force back some buds. This will then be accompanied by pinching of the remaining tips to assist in pushing those buds further down the branches.

Let's see how we go this time round.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Last edited by Pearcy001 on March 7th, 2017, 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

Over the last couple of weeks this Melaleuca armillaris began putting on some fresh growth, so I decided to cut it back again.

Sorry forgot the before photo once again!

Managed to get more movement into a couple of branches that were bugging me (especially the top right one). Branch at the lower left is just a sacrifice branch coming from the rear that I will allow to grow and thicken before removal.

Additionally ramification is now starting to come along, although alot was wasted after removal. Seems like you almost need to check these guys daily once they start growing.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 12th, 2017, 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

Bit of an update 18 months on. Finally have a few days off to myself so I worked on a couple of trees today. This one has put on some growth since the last update. Ramification has improved greatly too.

Outer silhouette could be better, it looks much nicer in person than the photo from my phone haha. It dried out on a windy day a few weeks back and most the foliage died off that was further down the branching, but these respond well and never really slow down.

First is a photo at March 2018

Second is a photo at May 2019.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on May 15th, 2019, 6:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Nice development. You’ve done a great job advancing it from where it was originally. Definitely see improvement in each post. :yes:
Maybe more wire to get that growth/ramification you have developed even more refined? I say that mainly because I posted a similar tree not so long ago and that was the advice I was given, which I think proved to be sound, after further wiring it went up another level. If anything, your tree is more advanced and looking better than mine so I think this could maybe lift it further... cool tree!
:beer:
Last edited by Ryceman3 on May 15th, 2019, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Pearcy ,
Tree is definitely improving ,well done. One thing that struck me on viewing the May photo was that all the branches on the right side kicked out at roughly the same angle and all the ones on the left were all straight and at the same angle as well . Probably a lot different in the real ,photos can be a lot misleading at times. Cheers John.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

Ryceman3 wrote:Nice development. You’ve done a great job advancing it from where it was originally. Definitely see improvement in each post. :yes:
Maybe more wire to get that growth/ramification you have developed even more refined?
Thanks Ryceman. You're right it definitely needs a detailed rewire, I just haven't had the time to do a full one (well lazy and not enough time). I think you've convinced me to pull the finger out.

boom64 wrote:Hi Pearcy ,
Tree is definitely improving ,well done. One thing that struck me on viewing the May photo was that all the branches on the right side kicked out at roughly the same angle and all the ones on the left were all straight and at the same angle as well . Probably a lot different in the real ,photos can be a lot misleading at times. Cheers John.
G'day John, you're definitely right about the photo. I don't recalling it being that conflicting in real life but will definitely reassess next time I'm in the yard and rectify it. I think it's just not as obvious in real life because you can see the front and back movement in the branching. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Return to “Melaleuca”