Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: CCBC, CBS, VNBC, BSST

Mel Rhaphiophylla

Post by hugh grant »

New year, Old trees, New designs.
Melaleuca Rhaphiophyla i have just recently redesigned after a 12 month regrow process and resurrection.

Would love to hear what you think!
_MG_8026.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tree Makers Making Australian Bonsai
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW
https://www.treemakers.net/

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/treemakersbonsai
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tree_makers/
E: Hughgrant@treemakers.net
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Re: Mel Rhaphiophylla

Post by Max »

amazing how a trunk that big fits into a pot that small...loving the design and a pleasure to view....A+ from me :aussie:
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Post by wattynine »

Hi Hugh, I gotta say I don't feel quite right about critiquing one of your trees and this is gorgeous.
The styling for me is a little too "penjing" and I'm not even sure if I have that right and whilst I REALLY like it, I'm not sure if it's Australian, (am I saying this right).
I would like to see the lower left hand branch get some height, and this is just me of course and I am commonly a long way from right, but it is a little "bar" looking. From the photo it seems to be a "borrowed" branch swinging from the branch on the right?
with an apology I post a very bodgy virt to see if I can say what I am saying.
_MG_8026.1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wattynine on January 4th, 2017, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Just brilliant Hugh,

Great photography too.

Kevin
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Yep, it's a thumbs up from me Hugh. Great branch placement, especially the lower right hand group. Also love the photo, good skills, except the table, hate the table. it looks like you are in the kitchen. Come on Hugh, with all that money you are earning :whistle: as a Bonsai Artist you can afford a display table :D :lol:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

I really like the trunk but I'm not sold on the branches. The branches all look to be the same diameter with little to no taper. It may just be the photo as trees often look very different in the bark.
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trees!
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by Thymetraveller »

That's gorgeous!!! :cool:
Jag001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Jag001 »

Different Styles appeal to different eyes!

Personally , I love it.

cheers,

Jeff
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by hugh grant »

Cheers for the comments all!

wattynine wrote:Hi Hugh, I gotta say I don't feel quite right about critiquing one of your trees and this is gorgeous.
The styling for me is a little too "penjing" and I'm not even sure if I have that right and whilst I REALLY like it, I'm not sure if it's Australian, (am I saying this right).
I would like to see the lower left hand branch get some height, and this is just me of course and I am commonly a long way from right, but it is a little "bar" looking. From the photo it seems to be a "borrowed" branch swinging from the branch on the right?
with an apology I post a very bodgy virt to see if I can say what I am saying.
_MG_8026.1.jpg
Hey man
like your thinking buddy! my placement of the branches is basically due to what is available to work with. My philosophy when making trees is always to just use whats available, i dont like trying to grow branches in perfect places etc just dosnt seem true to form to me nor an expression of the material if i force what is not here to be. makes for a more interesting image in the present and forward. your virt looks Rad! and is perfectly plausible as a reiteration of this tree, great eye for design mate!!!
EdwardH wrote:I really like the trunk but I'm not sold on the branches. The branches all look to be the same diameter with little to no taper. It may just be the photo as trees often look very different in the bark.
Its all a game of time mate, cant get branching happening without any branches, its all a process. also radical taper on branching is never going to look good, long elegant branching for a soft elegant tree i say
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW

hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by hugh grant »

bodhidharma wrote:Yep, it's a thumbs up from me Hugh. Great branch placement, especially the lower right hand group. Also love the photo, good skills, except the table, hate the table. it looks like you are in the kitchen. Come on Hugh, with all that money you are earning :whistle: as a Bonsai Artist you can afford a display table :D :lol:
haha minimalist my friend aka kitchen style, love it haha. built and designed that table myself! maybe i shall call it the elevated cheese board !
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW

Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Beautiful tree Hugh I love how the branches seem to flow elegantly downwards
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Just my opinion Hugh, but to me you seem to be rushing to make an image with very thin wispy branches which really have nowhere to go from here and will probably end up being cut off and re-made in the future. Branches should be built slowly. It should take at least 3 or 4 years before you reach the outline you have now. Then you may have a more substantial foundation from which to proceed.
Also I would personally see a more angular structure fitting more naturally with these natives. This of course cannot be done with wire and takes time.

I know I've said it before and I will repeat to anyone who cares to consider it.
We need to stop using other bonsai as subjects for our work. Doing that just creates more and more dilution with each generation of bonsai trees.
Use the real thing instead.

:imo:
melraph.JPG
Last edited by treeman on January 7th, 2017, 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by hugh grant »

Hi Mate!

always an interesting topic this isnt it!
so this is how i build trees, unless it is deciduous and even so this can work for deciduous too. This tree has been in preparation for design for about 18 months or so now, growing some foliage and length in branches, a few prunes etc etc. now i have taken that growth, reduced excess pieces and then formed the frame wok from which to now develop from. if i were to chop each branch back to the length and grow and chop again etc etc i would not be moving towards a solid direction. laying the ranches out allows me to define the structure and design, creating a scaffold to then fill. This isnt a big tree and iv taken the essentials characteristics of mel raph and condensed them down to bare base characteristics within the structure ive created here. a few angular bends in key places, downward twisting branches, but not a lot because the design of course needs to be simple to be consumable. ive insinuated the direction of the design and solidified primary lines. From here i will let the tree grow strong for at least 6 - 12 months, develop lots of interior branching through the simplicity of free growth and then repeat this process done recently, the tree will then be much fuller, some places will be reduced yes, or even removed as branches develop. but because i have set a solid design and structure i can work to perceive an image now and later to work within. not only that, there is a lot of flexibility to work within when this happens than if i were constantly pruning, new branching, pruning, new branching etc.

yes this is not the 'final' tree its a stage in its construction, but i ask why cannot a tree be made to look at its very best every time it is touched, thats one of my philosophies.
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW

bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

hugh grant wrote:yes this is not the 'final' tree its a stage in its construction, but i ask why cannot a tree be made to look at its very best every time it is touched, thats one of my philosophies.
I also think like this, that you should always make the tree look it's best. While the branches are growing the trunk is also and making the tree always "Look it's best" sets the scene for it's future.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
morrie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by morrie »

would it be fair to say the "final tree" would be dead ;)

Return to “Melaleuca”