Incana, Lanceolata, Linariifolia, Rhaphiophylla, Styphelioides etc
Naimul
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Melaleuca Linariifolia - Progression

Post by Naimul »

My first time attending the Ausbonsai Market in Auburn, and left with an enormous Melaleuca linariifolia. I did not catch the original owner's name, but it seemed like she was downsizing her collection of 'giant' bonsai. Good thing i didnt have much more money left or room in the car, would have likely taken the whole table!

Amazing looking tree, clearly has some age, and definitely cherished. This will be my first "final stage" tree, in stark contrast to all my other trees which are all still starters sticks in a pot.

My only concern at the moment is that there has been some carved segments along the trunk, and on one branch but doesnt seem to have been treated. i had a dig with my fingers, and the wood just fell apart. is it just a matter of cleaning it out untill i reach hard wood, then going over with wood hardner? i might carve a bit of an exit so that water does not pool.

I just hope i can keep it looking like it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Acer buergerianum, Acer palmatum, Bougainvillea (something), Ficus microcarpa, Lagerstroemia indica 'Fauriei', Melaleuca styphelioides, Olea Europa, Prunus (something) 'Dwarf Apricot', Quercus robur, Ulmus parvifolia, Zelkova serrata
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Re: Melaleuca Linariifolia - Progression

Post by Steven »

Hi Naimul,

The original owner was Jan B and all her trees are very old.

Mel wood is pretty soft so it doesn't make a good deadwood feature. You could clean them out and put cut paste on there and they will heal over eventually. Or you could leave them as features and let the tree deal with them naturally.

Nice tree you picked up.

Regards
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
[ Kane ]
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Redlands, QLD

Post by [ Kane ] »

Great tree! great species too. Enjoy. They love a bit of water too.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Dead wood is definitely a feature of Aussie trees so you can keep it as a feature if you like.
I'd keep carving until you reach solid wood. Extend the hollow downward to provide drainage. Apply lime sulphur to the wood to make it last a bit longer this time.

If you don't like the look of a hollow trunk I think you could use the other side as the front.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Melaleuca”