Incana, Lanceolata, Linariifolia, Rhaphiophylla, Styphelioides etc
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Melaleuca [Ryceman3]

Post by Ryceman3 »

I thought it was time I update the thread I have on this tree, and then I found I didn't have a thread on this tree! So, here is the tree.
It's a little Melaleuca of some kind I picked up about 2 years ago. What kind exactly I am not clear so if anybody wants to hazard a guess, be my guest. Of my natives, it is one of my favourite. Good leaf size, the bark is texturing up nicely as it ages and it seems pretty happy for me to cut and hack at it wherever I like, backbudding nicely generally so I find working on it relatively stress free. I haven't really gone very hard on the roots at all yet, they will get some attention this summer and I might even look at a bonsai pot for it then too depending.
Anyway - here is today's before and after - (and as usual happy for any critique/suggestion/whatever) ... I may have to look back and find a shot of it from when I got it... I swore I had a thread on this!
IMG_3492.jpg
IMG_3498.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Melaleuca [Ryceman3]

Post by Pearcy001 »

Looks great already. Could it be melaleuca armillaris?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Pearcy001 wrote:Looks great already. Could it be melaleuca armillaris?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Hi Pearcy, yep - it could be mel. armillaris for sure. I had a quick look at google images and the leaf shape/size, growth habit etc. does fit. Hard to say from the shots I saw about bark texture (seems similar), and I know if it flowered that would help ... but I'm not holding my breath when it comes to flowers - at least any time soon.
Thanks for your ID input ... much appreciated!
:beer:
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Hi Ryceman,

Agree with Pearcy, it's looking good.

There are two bits of wire attached to your pot. I assume the dark one marks the "front" (I do this too) but what is the purpose of the copper coloured one on the right hand side, part way down the pot? Some sort of anchor?

cheers
terryb
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

terryb wrote:Hi Ryceman,

Agree with Pearcy, it's looking good.

There are two bits of wire attached to your pot. I assume the dark one marks the "front" (I do this too) but what is the purpose of the copper coloured one on the right hand side, part way down the pot? Some sort of anchor?

cheers
terryb
Hey terryb,
Yeah the front wire marks the front as you say, the other wine is very technical and highly secretive, but since we are amongst friends I’ll let you in on what it’s for. :shifty:
When I did a repot last time, I wanted to use a shallower squat pot rather than a regular depth one, but I didn’t have one the right size. So I got the regular pot, cut the top off it which by itself works as a pot but with no rim around the new top it is a bit flimsy. To fix that I took the ring I originally cut off (with the rim), cut a slit down it lengthwise and then wrapped it around the “new” squat pot. To fix it all together I jabbed some old wire through both pieces and twisted (on the inside) to tighten in place. I did that in a couple of places around the outside, it works well and I saved a few bucks, which because I can be a bit tight on occasion also made me happy! 8-)
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Ahh, that explains why the rim dips a bit at the back and side. Cheers mate.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Good looking tree, Ryceman. I can't keep up with all the melaleuca varieties, and now the callistemon has been folded into the mel family as well! :?: :?: :?:
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Good one Ryceman, :tu: I've done the same thing with a number of my pots of varying sizes. I then pop rivet them together again. I do this because I want my trees to start developing shallower root systems and resent paying higher prices for shallower "orchid pots" than the normal black plastic pots.
Cheers, Frank.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Ryceman ,
Interesting Tree developing ,well done. I like the movement in the branches and the trunks . I would be tempted to keep on wiring down to the tips of the branches. Take care of the straight sections ,especially as it is fairly light on the foliage department. Just a thought .Look forward to the next update . Cheers John.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Raging Bull wrote:Good one Ryceman, :tu: I've done the same thing with a number of my pots of varying sizes. I then pop rivet them together again.
Yep, nice one Frank. I wouldn't want to have to do it if I was repotting 50 trees, but when it's low volume I think it is worth the effort. Pop rivets is a good idea! :yes:
boom64 wrote:Hi Ryceman ,
Interesting Tree developing ,well done. I like the movement in the branches and the trunks . I would be tempted to keep on wiring down to the tips of the branches. Take care of the straight sections ,especially as it is fairly light on the foliage department. Just a thought .Look forward to the next update . Cheers John.
Thanks for the feedback John, I had another quick look at it this morning and I think you're right - I might put a bit more wire on, particularly on the top sections and try for a bit more movement. A bit of finer wire towards the ends probably wouldn't go astray either. I appreciate your response... I'll update when I get it done.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

A bit of extra wire was applied today as promised ... it was a little rushed as I had spent most of the day potting up the rest of my pines that needed it, but it does the job and I think it has improved the silhouette a bit.
IMG_3524.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Gave this one a bit of attention today. It had filled out pretty nicely and referencing the earlier pics I think it is developing well. Looking to continue development of the foliage 'pads' from here - and it will get a pot very soon.
Mel_0120_01.jpg
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Looking really good :tu:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Progressing well ,plenty of interest to get you in. Cheers John.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey R3,
Cool tree. Having had the pleasure of visiting your rooftop garden, you do amazing things with limited space and are developing numerous wonderful trees - this included.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Melaleuca”