THE MEL PROJECT

Incana, Lanceolata, Linariifolia, Rhaphiophylla, Styphelioides etc
Raniformis
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: THE MEL PROJECT

Post by Raniformis »

You just inspired me to hack into mine; or put it on the bench and look at it for a couple of hours anyways.

Growing the things is easy peasy, chopping into branches you just finished growing is not so easy. Last time I got all inspired I ended up destroying the poor tree.

Nice, imma use these pics when I eventually style it.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Starting to repot these trees now. I'm tossing up the idea of putting a few into bonsai pots, but this one I have decided to simply repot back into the same plastic pot. It could do with a bit more thickening I think, the base is starting to develop just needs a bit longer.
There's a few to go.
:beer:
MelStyph RO 0324 IG_03.JPG
MelStyph RO 0324 IG_02.JPG
MelStyph RO 0324 IG_01.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Ryce , the Mels are going fantastic, well done. Like you have been busy repotting to. First prize goes to the Stypheliodes man can they bulk up. The clump style looks very interesting. Cheers John.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

A couple more M. stypheliodes repots, this time transitioning them into bonsai pots. It was a decent cut back on all 3, but as a result of previous work I think there was plenty of feeder roots left despite removing maybe 70-75%. I was pretty focussed so forgot "before" shots of the roots and missed one "after" of the root pad too, but I think you get the idea. I left foliage alone for the most part, maybe reduced the tallest one about 10%, the other two just a small trim to tidy here and there. I'll let the roots recover before giving them a proper hair cut.
Always nice to see them get their first proper pot.
MelStyph 0324 IG_04.jpg
MelStyph 0324 IG_01.jpg
MelStyph 0324 IG_02.jpg
MelStyph 0324 IG_05.jpg
MelStyph 0324 IG_03.jpg
MelStyph 0324 IG_06.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Repotted the semi cascade M. nesophila below about a month ago (March 17th). The root system was pretty sub-standard so I was a little worried about how it would recover but things appear to be fine. No real issues and signs of new growth so I am feeling OK about it now. It's not the most prodigious/robust melaleuca species I have found when it comes to bonsai, but still kicking along...
Mel Neso IG_01.jpg
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I don't recall seeing that container before, love how well it goes with the tree! I don't recall seeing an M. nesophila before either. Looking forward to seeing more.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

melbrackstone wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:27 pm I don't recall seeing that container before, love how well it goes with the tree! I don't recall seeing an M. nesophila before either. Looking forward to seeing more.
Hi Mel,
There are glimpses of this one (with less wire) and another M nesophila in this thread, but this is the first image where (I hope) it looks a bit more like something other than a stick in a pot!
I think the pot helps, I also like the way it pairs with this tree. It was made by Tony Remington (UK) and I picked it up during my CoVid buying sessions with Elaine at Bonsai Island a couple of years ago. Nice to give it a tree and a spot on the bench. :D
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

LOL, I just hit Elaine up yesterday for some pots.... parcel should arrive next week.

I really like that container, thanks for letting me know who made it. I've only seen one or two TR pots on bonsai island before, must keep a closer eye on it!

Return to “Melaleuca”