Maple Seeds after Hot Summer

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Maple Seeds after Hot Summer

Post by kcpoole »

Persistence will pay off BJ
Keep us up todate please

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
bjk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: SA (Past)

Post by bjk »

This is IT !!

Spring has sprung and ALL three methods (my last post) have given me lots (100's) of seedlings. It seemed a normal, good wet winter to me. Herself says it was colder than normal.
Even some of the exotic Seeds I "stole" from various locations have emerged but what they'll look like is still to be seen. I'm delighted but probably no wiser in my quest. The journey was interesting however.
So-o-o as I've often said, time passed, and if conclusions are to be drawn it is the original thought that the hot dry summer when I started all this, was just that and had a limiting effect into winter and onwards. That's not scientific but it'll have to do. A secondary conclusion which we all knew and which you have all contributed to is that stratification is necessary regardless of whether its by Mr Kelvinator or nature and as proven by Norman Deno.

In my original post I said I wanted to begin a grafting career. After this spring and onwards I will have the stock with which to work. Thank you all
11th commandment - Thou shalt have a Hard drive failure sometime.
Observation - You canna make an appointment...
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Not sure how you can claim to be no wiser? If I read correctly all 3 batches have germinated and Lot 3 was not stratified (as I read it) and have still germinated so surely this means that stratification is unneccesary for this species/ variety/ fresh seed:?: :?: :?:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bjk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: SA (Past)

Post by bjk »

Shibui,
Thanks for the compliment on wisdom. You are right I am wiser
Living in the Mt Lofty Ranges qualifies "leaving out in the open" as stratification. A frost is when there's white on the lawn. A hard frost is when the bird bath hasn't defrosted by 3pm. A monster frost is when the Hill across the valley is as white as ... right to the top. The only thing differing from human stratification is 100 days !!
We had all of those this year including 8 days straight of mixtures of the above as well as many other random frosts.
11th commandment - Thou shalt have a Hard drive failure sometime.
Observation - You canna make an appointment...
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I got seed from shibui of Acer palmatum, Acer pentaphyllum and Acer buergerianum. All was fresh seed. I soaked all seed over night and sowed all the tridents directly. Got nearly 100% germination within 3 weeks. The A. palmatum and A. pentaphyllum I stratified half and direct sowed half. In both cases I got higher germination WITHOUT stratification, the japanese maples close to 100%. I live in a warm temperate to sub tropical climate with no frosts this past winter and overnight temps rarely going below 5 deg.

From what i have read and observed I would say dried seed may need the stratifying, but fresh seed does not benefit. In fact in my case it lowered my success rate.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi bjk,
My experience is similar to dansai. I didn't treat any of my Trident Maple seeds in any way. I planted them as they were and had virtually 100% germination. Trident Maple seeds

Regards Ray

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”