Meaning of flowers

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Meaning of flowers

Post by Elmar »

Gudday folks,
Just wondering what the general consensus is on flowers?
Flowers means spring (or spring like conditions) don't they?!?

So isn't that a great time to collect specimen (by Airlayer or other means)?!?!

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Re: Meaning of flowers

Post by Jarad »

Flowers are usually for when you stay out drinking too late on your wifes birthday. This could happen at any time of the year.

In short, I have no idea.

:bump:
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Hehe, I was just pondering all the flowers I see...
Bougies have been flowering for months, we have Bottlebrushes in full flower (some less so), the Hakeas (my recent fascination) are also putting out flowers - almost like spring! And it reminded me about a post I read here stating we have several 'growing' seasons in Australia (perhaps WA, don't recall exactly). So being eager, I wanted to know if I should go and fossick for seeds and the like or if this is a flash-in-the-pan scenario?!?!

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

I guess for some plants it would be the time for seed collection because I'm currently holding 20 English Oak acorns Shibui sent me.

But I'm certainly not a plant expert.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I think being in Port Headland you only have two seasons? Hot and Hotter :whistle: You could probably do most things at any time of year.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

bodhidharma wrote:I think being in Port Headland you only have two seasons? Hot and Hotter :whistle: You could probably do most things at any time of year.
Yes, the trick is keeping them alive! :shock:

I should keep this post more up-dated - as I learn, I seem to eliminate (or overcome) more and more of the different modes of 'death' my trees suffer.

So soon, once I can keep them alive for sure, it will be time for me to learn how to actually start the process of Bonsai and developing trees! :lol:

I have contemplated air-conditioning a Green house to control the humidity and temperatures we get here, but then I won't learn much - just pay thru the nose and there is no guarantee that the trees I produce will be any good anyway! (Just getting in before you fellas do! :mrgreen: )... I just happen to have a great dirty big 'dead corner' while the living sections is, well ... not as big! :oops:
Cheers
Elmar
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:Yes, the trick is keeping them alive!
Could you be trying to grow the wrong sorts of trees. I reckon if you look around as to what actually grows in headland and just grow them? I have seen some VERY impressive Figs in Darwin and that is hotter than hell sometimes.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

bodhidharma wrote:
CoGRedeMptioN wrote:Yes, the trick is keeping them alive!
Could you be trying to grow the wrong sorts of trees. I reckon if you look around as to what actually grows in headland and just grow them? I have seen some VERY impressive Figs in Darwin and that is hotter than hell sometimes.
Ohh I got that lesson!! Took nearly 12 months but I got it! Hence why I'm looking around now for trees that survive Hedland!

Initial casualties (first :hooray: poor thing) was a Red Pointsiana That was a small seedling in the house we were renting. I loved the look of the adult trees so I scooped it up and potted it. 5 years (yes! 5 - thanx to my wife) we kept it and watered it and it grew a nice enough nebarie (my opinion) and stem but the Bi-pinate leaves were not reducing (I don't know if they can - certainly didn't have the skill then nor now) and then it died! :o
I was very very emotional at the time.

Couple of months later I bought 2 Chinese Elms from Perth. Apparently they like a drink of water occasionally and I didn't pay enough attention ... then I swore off Bonsai as something for little old Japanese men ... but still loved it.

16 months ago I received 6 Mels of varying sizes form a local Nursery focussing on local trees. Yup, you guessed it RIP.

Now I have some trees I have been given and some I've bought (nursery stock) and so far I am managing to keep them alive. Most recent death is of a Ficus (haha) that we attempted to bring into a Cascade style. Weather was OK (temperatures were cooler 20-30 degrees) but we've had a great deal of rain (cyclone :tounge: ) and I believe it drowned! Its been repotted into bonsai soil (there are plenty of formulae on this forum) so its free draining but the rain was constant and heavy.
Foolishly we thought Rain is God-sent and would be like Turbo-ing the growth of the Ficus. Apparently not!

Anyway, I'm going a lot easier and much more deliberate now, smacking my fingers when they get itchy to cut or chock ... erm, ... wire something... :palm:

Longest tree I've had - 13 months, still going! AND who can forget my 'Swamp'!?! While my claim to 50% survival rate were premature ( :lol: lets not be kidding, a joke!), I have one Cutting from a local Casuarina that is now going off! I'm guessing its shot up close to 10 cm of new growth :shock: which has blown my mind!

SO lots of Death, but at least one new tree has survived my touch! I have also collected a number of seeds (Casuarina) and, following RayMs' example, there are 15-20 seedlings that have sprouted; oh, and 1 Chilli seed!

Lets hope I've turned a corner...
Cheers
Elmar
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Seed collecting time depends on the species. many exotics have seed lat ripens this time of year because it drops to the ground gets covered with snow and then is ready to grow in spring. Collect seed April- June.
Tropicals flower and have flowers and seed any time of year because conditions are always good for germinating. Collect ripe sead whenever you see it.
Many Aussie species have seed that ripens in summer so that it drops to the ground and is ready to grow when the autumn rain comes. Look out around Christmas time - New Year.
Other Aussies hold on to the seed until a fire comes then drop seed onto nice bare ground so it can grow without competition - banksias, hakeas and others. Pick oldest pods whenever you find a plant.

In short, there is always some seed to be collected. I always have some paper bags under the seat of the ute so whenever I see some that looks ripe I can grab it. Green seed pods are usually not ready. When they turn brown they are usually ripe.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Thank you Neil, I'm starting to notice more and more but my timing is still off ... First go at seeds is with the Casuarians (and Chilli) , looking to have a go at the Hakea and working on Melaleucas and Callistemons ... as I get the chance.
Cheers
Elmar
Naimul
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Naimul »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:Thank you Neil, I'm starting to notice more and more but my timing is still off ... First go at seeds is with the Casuarians (and Chilli) , looking to have a go at the [url=[/url] and working on Melaleucas and Callistemons ... as I get the chance.

i would be quite interested to see how you go with your casuarina seeds. i have had one self seed and sprout earlier this year in a pot, ive tried to keep it going but i think it "died" near the end of summer but only about 2-3 weeks ago it has restarted again, pushing out new (but fewer) growth. thinking of pulling it out this winter when i repot, keeping the roots intact.
Acer buergerianum, Acer palmatum, Bougainvillea (something), Ficus microcarpa, Lagerstroemia indica 'Fauriei', Melaleuca styphelioides, Olea Europa, Prunus (something) 'Dwarf Apricot', Quercus robur, Ulmus parvifolia, Zelkova serrata
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Gday Naimul,
Best have a look at the extensive research that Ray has done:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=18613&p=199253&hil ... na#p199253

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Naimul
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Naimul »

ah no way, cant believe i missed that. thanks
Acer buergerianum, Acer palmatum, Bougainvillea (something), Ficus microcarpa, Lagerstroemia indica 'Fauriei', Melaleuca styphelioides, Olea Europa, Prunus (something) 'Dwarf Apricot', Quercus robur, Ulmus parvifolia, Zelkova serrata
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Naimul wrote:ah no way, cant believe i missed that. thanks
No worries, its working for me so far! 30 + seeds have popped up and none have died, yet. :lol:

I have only 1 Chilli seed that has come up at the same time, only one... :x

At this stage they are all doing well and I'm keeping them nice and warm (cause its cold in Hedland now ~ 12-17 degrees).

I will have to reread Rays post to make sure I don't miss any of the good stuff and convert these seedlings into potensai, Mamé and just practicing...
Cheers
Elmar

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”