Orchid Cloning Paste

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Orchid Cloning Paste

Post by MoGanic »

Hey all,

Never heard of this stuff before but came across it and thought it to be very interesting...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1519101409

They call it Keiki paste and it is meant to clone an orchid by growing a new plant on an undifferentiated node. Very strange. Would be great if they came up with something like this for other plants and trees.

I know theres a few Orchid keepers on here, keen to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Orchid Cloning Paste

Post by dansai »

Flowering plants (as opposed to conifers) are divided into 2 groups called monocots and dicots. Dicots have 2 seed leaves (called cotyledons, hence di-cot) and grow into trees and shrubs. Monocots have one cotyledon and include all the grasses (including cereal crops like corn), palm trees and orchids. They have quite different biology to dicots and I think the keiki paste acts on processors that unique to monocots. I do remember using some but can't remember results. Both phalenopsis and dendrobiums that they use this on produce keikis without the paste, but it makes it more likely.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Orchid Cloning Paste

Post by MoGanic »

Interesting... So it grows a whole new plant from the stem? Have I got that right?

Cheers for the info,
Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”