Thoughts on Collected Australian native material.

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Re: Thoughts on Collected Australian native material.

Post by Josh »

Pup wrote:A couple of unexciting collected Natives

EOS 650D0032.JPG
EOS 650D0034.JPG
EOS 650D0035.JPG
EOS 650D0038.JPG
All collected with permission from private land and rescued from construction site of Roadways. All Melaleuca species.
Out of interest Pup, how long was it from collection to the point you called these bonsai. I often see trees collected that would take 5-10 years to be anything special and you could probably grow a better in that time. I dnt think you could improve much on these though. Once again amazing trees crafted by an artist.

Josh
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Josh wrote: Out of interest Pup, how long was it from collection to the point you called these bonsai. I often see trees collected that would take 5-10 years to be anything special and you could probably grow a better in that time. I dnt think you could improve much on these though. Once again amazing trees crafted by an artist.

Josh
The below pictures were uploaded to Pup's gallery back in Aug 2009. But that still doesn't tell you when he dug them up. They have changed a bit.

And while you browse his gallery.... fair dinkum...
Take a look at this drop dead gorgeous beast. This is one of the greatest Melaleuca bonsai I have ever seen :o :

:worship: :worship: :worship:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Hello for relevant points all of my trees are collected either on private land , or with a scientific licence for collecting relative flora. With the proviso that it was not sold traded, or given away.

Josh the tree in the national collection was collected on my sons farm in Denmark WA in 1995, on the 20th of February to be precise. The reason I know this it is my late fathers birthday. In 2001 it was given a merit award by Ernie Kuo, he was the headliner for the convention in Fremantle that year.

Most of my trees go from collection to show tables in 4 years, some have taken less. Collection time also varies from summer time to winter, and in between.
The semi cascade that is used for the Shohin page was collected in 2005, has always grown in a Bonsai pot again in summer in Denmark.

Cheers Pup.
ps I am always careful about disclosing my collection site where about's.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Pup wrote:Hello for relevant points all of my trees are collected either on private land , or with a scientific licence for collecting relative flora. With the proviso that it was not sold traded, or given away.

Josh the tree in the national collection was collected on my sons farm in Denmark WA in 1995, on the 20th of February to be precise. The reason I know this it is my late fathers birthday. In 2001 it was given a merit award by Ernie Kuo, he was the headliner for the convention in Fremantle that year.

Most of my trees go from collection to show tables in 4 years, some have taken less. Collection time also varies from summer time to winter, and in between.
The semi cascade that is used for the Shohin page was collected in 2005, has always grown in a Bonsai pot again in summer in Denmark.

Cheers Pup.
Thanks Pup, they have come along way since collecting. Surely you can tell me were you collect from, I won't tell anyone-I promise :lol: I loved Denmark, camped there when we travelled around oz.

Josh
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Josh wrote:
Pup wrote:Hello for relevant points all of my trees are collected either on private land , or with a scientific licence for collecting relative flora. With the proviso that it was not sold traded, or given away.

Cheers Pup.
Thanks Pup, they have come along way since collecting. Surely you can tell me were you collect from, I won't tell anyone-I promise :lol: I loved Denmark, camped there when we travelled around oz.

Josh
He has a shotgun for drop bears.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
fossil finder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: swampys
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by fossil finder »

I was just researching shimpaku juniper and found info in the Backgrounds section of the following article that relates to the native 'yamadori' conversation. What I found most interesting is that this 'tradition' isn't as old as I expected.
http://kuromatsubonsai.com/evergreen-bo ... er-bonsai/

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”